M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my rifle for 3 years now and have finally found a big range close enough. I've only ever shot my Troy SASS at 100 yards because I can't find a range that has more than 200 yds and I don't have to be a member, hop on one foot while rubbing my tummy and patting my head. In a little 1-horse town called Laura, IL, there is a range at the Elmore Stock Farms Outfitters property. The range and the outfitters are 2 separate entities but you can link to the range from the Elmore site.

I called the range officer, Jim, to set up an appointment for last Friday. It's 75 miles from my house so that's not bad. The range has steel silhouettes starting at 450, then 500, 600, 780, 950 and further to 1280 and as far as 1600+. The corn is WAY up this year so 950 is the furthest target to be seen. The range is perched atop a very high hill that is steep on one side. When you enter the deck, you walk up a tiny little grade through a clearing in the trees. Then you walk over the crest down about 10 flagstone steps to a new deck that's probably 15x20 feet with bench seating and shooting benches. The deck hangs over a 30-40' nearly shear hillside, looking over a big cornfield flanked by trees on both sides. The targets are on the right side, ending at the 780 at the end of the corn. The 950 is on the left side of the button-hook in the corn and grass to the left of the 780. Great range, and great RO. Jim spotted for me and gave me great confidence with my rig. I can't say enough good about him. I've got good gear, scope and all, but wasn't a pro and using it as it was intended. Now, I feel like I deserve my gear. PS, I'm loving that scope!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gotta say that it was the most fun I've had all summer. I even took cheap ammo and we still got on at 950. I learned what it takes to heat up a barrel and how long to cool it down. He has got me ordering several boxes of premium ammo to find the recipe my gun likes the most and we'll start using that from now on. Cheap stuff for messing around only now - God knows I have a ton of it. Well, maybe half a ton... Now that I know that range exists, I'm going to be buying up ammo for the M1 and looking SO forward to getting my 6BR done so I can take it out there and wring that thing out too. Great place. Can't say it enough.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My other "need" is a good trigger. A couple of times I was initiating my pull and it wasn't going off... and still not... and then that fly was crawling up the crease of my open eye... FLINCH. I kept inadvertently taking my mind off my sight picture and focusing on getting that trigger to break or wondering when it was.

So what's the hot lick for a smooth, light trigger?

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,605 Posts
Good range report, I love the platform/deck your on. Well worth the drive, to be able to reach out and see how well you and your rifle work together as a team.... Thanks for the pictures Bad Mojo.

DI5

Reactions: Bad Mojo

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Replacing the SAI trigger group parts with USGI parts and installing a David Tubbs chrome silicon hammer spring will give you a really nice trigger pull.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Congrats on your trip and your success! That's some nice shootin!

I didn't see this mentioned, so I thought I'd weigh in. The next piece of gear you need is probably the cheapest and one of the most important...

get yourself a data book and keep track of your trips to the range. Something as simple as temp, humidity, ammo lot, wind and shot placement/groups can tell you a ton about what you and your rifle are doing.

It's also nice to be able to flip back to a day that had similar conditions and pull your DOPE.

ENjoy your new addiction! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.