M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fired their broomhandle at a range >100M? Using modern Fiocchi .30 Mauser mine shoots and groups well about a foot high at 100. That's using the issue matching holster/stock.

·
Registered
423 Posts
That is okay to be about a foot high at 100m. They were battle sighted in for 300+m so at 100, you are going to be a bit high to say the least.

As for performance, the 8mm Mauser spanks all the other rounds in regards to long range performance.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It shoots 1' high at 100 with the rear sight set at the 50M mark, could be the improved ammo. Somehow I believe that the 1,000M sight graduation is a bit optimistic but all in all, it's impressive for a combination dating from 1896.

I would agree about the 8mm Mauser but the lack of a windage adjustment on the militaries is a drawback. Always wanted a 7.92X63 Swede '98 but they're well beyond budget.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
That is okay to be about a foot high at 100m. They were battle sighted in for 300+m so at 100, you are going to be a bit high to say the least.

As for performance, the 8mm Mauser spanks all the other rounds in regards to long range performance.

The OP is asking about the handgun round, not the rifle cartridge. I never shot a broomhandle at more than 50 yards, but I do recall that it shot higher than the point of aim with surplus ammo. Your experience of 12 inches at high at 100 is extreme though, if you are able to reload for the cartridge maybe that can be corrected. There has to be some load data for the .30 broomhandle available. They are great pistols, the machine work on them is awesome!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I enjoy it but shooting one isn't exactly cheap. The sights are completely original so I have to conclude that the Fiocchi is hotter than the original round. After looking at the 9mm video, I'll experiment further with the Mauser. The gun was a walk-in at a long ago show and the seller claimed to be the grandson of the vet who brought the rig back from WWI. Seems that nobody in the family wanted it. I told him its approximate value and offered him 70% of that figure and he took it. The author of SYSTEM MAUSER looked at it and advised me to keep it. Due to its rarity and high condition, I don't get it out very often.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts