·
Registered
403 Posts
Both 8O ...

Triggerman

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm with triggerman. One is NEVER enough :!: M-1A/M-14 ownership is an addiction ;) I have 2 and NEED a third :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
6016mech said:
I'm with triggerman. One is NEVER enough :!: M-1A/M-14 ownership is an addiction ;) I have 2 and NEED a third :)
Got 2, 3rd is on the way this week (Bush, USGI), a drug addiction would be cheaper 8O ...

TM..

·
Registered
365 Posts
18"

After much internal debate myself, and several trips to the gun store to "check them out", I decided.

The guy store guy didn't know what the stripper guide was for....or for that matter, didn't know %^&* about the M1As he was trying to sell.

Only thing he did tell me is that, "This is the best battle rifle you or I could own" (refering to a SA M1A). I told him I had to save a few more pennies.

Well......I think the best battle rifle is the M14/M1A....but not the one he was showing me....so....

I got me a LRB receiver and all the other USGI parts (TRW bolt, op rod, trigger group).

I'm going for the 18" Enhanced Battle Rifle (EBR) - (Scout size). Fits me perfectly. The 22" was a bit long for me as I spend alot of time in the brush. I wanted to maintain some length for velocity and I didn't like the SOCOM proprietary gas system.

It is still spliting chromosomes in the safe (as parts) and should have a due date of sometime around mid-March. You bet I will post some pics.

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
One - an only one.

As I have said many times... IMHO the Scout Squad version of the M14 type rifle is the best all-around battle rifle made.
Everyone should own one 8)

Unlike most forumites I restrict myself to owning just one rifle, one shotgun and one pistol.
I purchased my SAI Scout in 2001 and love it.
Understand this, I purchased the rifle before I new much about the M14/M1A.
It had zero factory GI parts and I made the mistake of buying an aftermarket 20 round mag.

I am a member of a very small group af M1A owners that have put SAI's Lifetime Warranty to the test.
SAI did make it right. :D I am one happy M1A owner.

Knowing what I know now and with a full understanding of just how much money one could invest in just one rifle
I would buy a used SAI Scout or Bush and do everything I have done so far or build an LRB EBR with a Crazy Horsed
<18" barrel, ALL GI parts and put it in a SAGE etc, etc, etc $$$

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Different said:
It's not good for your "chi" to violate the Rule of Twos. :lol:

Hey Diff,
I couldn't agree more! I wanted to make sure I was good on the rule of two's and went for three. Now I am itching for a Bush something fierce 8O Does it ever end!!!!
Shadow

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D I prefer the original, but you get which ever you prefer. :D

·
Registered
980 Posts
Standard legth for me. I don't shoot past 500yds very often, but still a lot more than I do clearing buildings. 8) Plus, its still legal for Service Rifle competition.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Long or Short, which is best?

Green grunt, TEA brings up a good point, one that is always wise to keep in mind when trying to control ones spending/buying of arms, that being, what is it for? If you will ever want to shoot service rifle competition, then you definitely want the standard GI configuration, and the longer sight plane/ slightly higher muzzle velocity would help for long range shooting. However, if you will be humping the brush alot, want to use it as a weapon for building searches, or will be deploying it from vehicles in a hurry, the shorter models would be the way to go, in MHO/experience. Also in MHO/experience, any collapsible stock I've had dealings with was more comfortable to carry than to shoot much. I cannot comment on the Sage though, as I haven't experienced one. (Yet)!! The best advice I can give is carefully consider what you want it for, then spend your money on the best you can buy, I see no wisdom in pinching pennies on ones personal weapons when your life or someone elses may depend on it. Just MHO. In the end, you may enjoy it so much you'll buy another one anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
First, m-14 ownership is an addiction, as others have here stated. If I could have all three( standard, scout squad, socom), I would. Left with the possibility of owning only one, I would go with the standard,with the 1911 pistol as sidearm. I could live with that combination forever, and happily. Best of luck. I know you can only shoot 1 at a time, but somehow, 1 always tastes like more.

·
Registered
434 Posts
SR420 said:
scottinhawaii said:
6016mech said:
I guess I'm still the only one that believes one is enough? (Standard)

You are not alone - One is enough for me. (Scout Squad)
likewise. As much as anyone, I'd enjoy another but can't justify the expense on my budget. I've considered going your route and "lightening the load" in the safe, though probably not to one of each. I don't buy to collect, I buy to shoot, so I put a good amount of $$ into spare parts and tools instead of duplicate weapons. Maybe when I become independantly wealthy that'll change (yeah, hold my breath, right?).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just had to make the same decision. I always wanted an M14/M1A but couldn’t afford one. I had a temporary second job that helped support my “hobby”. Since I’ll probably only be able to afford one for a long time my thinking went like this:

18” bbl: Positives- probably more utilitarian or shorter=handier (probably), looks “cool”. Negatives, some increase in muzzle blast/noise and a little less muzzle velocity.

22” bbl: Positives- slightly increased muzzle velocity, sleek & long classic good looks. Negatives- could be a little long/unwieldy.

I like the forward scout mount but it didn’t factor in because I could always put one on the 22” bbl.

I didn’t consider the SOCOM. I just don’t like the way it looks, although I bet it’s a blast to shoot (pun intended) and its non-standard fittings for the break/flash suppressor.

So, I ended up getting the 22” bbl. As I said, I always wanted an M14 so I got an LRB. I only waited about 3 weeks from order to delivery!

Now I have to get some time to go and shoot it!!!

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Before I knew much about what I was getting into, I went with the Scout. I like the barrel length and I like having the forward mounted occluded eye sights like the Aimpoint and Eotech. The SOCOM wasn't around yet, but I don't know that it would have been my choice at the time either. I have shot the SOCOM and liked it though. I would have to call mine a Bush now however since I replaced the stock and handguard with some old ones then I painted it all ugly. :p I also have a buttplate instead of the recoil pad. I also had to replace the trigger guard because the springfield didn't hold together when the action cycled (deformed guard latch).

The Dude will have to risk angering the feng shui gods by not balancing my Chi for a couple or more years until I scroung enough money for another M1A. I definately want one and I definately cannot aford another one for a while, but I am glad that I bought the Scout 1st. It gave me what I wanted at the time and next I will take my time and spend my $$ wisely on a rifle I can compete with. NM and unitized and glassed and the fancy barrel all the good stuff. In the mean time I might try to achieve balance by buying my father a Garand.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.