M14 Forum banner

Long Island High Power League

18997 Views 65 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  mike in pa
I recently joined the Long Island High Power Shooting League. They hold on competition a month out at the exclusive Peconic River Sportsmans Club. If you don't know anything about it look them up on the internet. It only costs $10 to join for the year and $20 to register to shoot at the competitions. It would be wonderful, Visigoth9, if some of you gents would come on out at compete with your 14's. I am the only one shooting one. If you have never competed before, I urge you to give it a try. Last weekend was my first competition and i can tell you I am hooked. If you search for the NY State High Power Association, you will also find the Roslyn Clubs schedule, pretty sure they hold there meets at Calverton.

If you are having trouble finding either of the sites, let me know I will post them here.
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

· "Death From Above"
12,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
How was SAFS for you and your AR? Pick up anything that you'd consider useful?
Big time. First of all getting a zero off of sand bags is useless other than to get you on paper. Second I learned a lot about getting a solid position. These two items alone were worth the cost.
We first shot from the prone, we had four sighting strings, first was one round the next three were three rounds each. I shot the first one 5 o'clock low. second three were in the same area so I made on min correction left. I was then 6 o'clock low and made a minute correction up and the next three were two x's and a 10. Figured I was good to go. So then we shot ten rounds rapid prone. All my shots were again 6 o'clock low but tight. I figured I must have changed my hold. We then went into the sitting and I did not make any correction, I wanted to see what if anything changed. I used the same hold and again I was 6 o'clock low. I realize that most people have different sight values for the different positions. I am going to go back to the range and work on each position to try and figure this out. I can say this, just as everyone in the league said, the AR is easier to shoot. One thing that I am not used to is single feeding the rounds. I can see how one of those plates come in handy. I can't get my finger in there to get it in the chamber. The 14 I just drop it in the mag.
I learned an easier prone position and a great deal about head position. Two huge items. I have a lot of work to do. I wont be able to get to the range with the 15 this week due to work so I am thinking I will use and apply the info I learned with the 14 and give it another try at this weekends match.
I also learned no matter how much rain gear you have something still gets wet. First time it rained hard enough that I had to blow the water from the rear aperture. I had a great time as usual. I can't wait to start using what I learned and see if there is any changes in my scoring. TIme to get some more equipment.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
My suggestion is to get into your gear once it's dry an dry fire before the weekend. Make some commitment to the new positions you worked on. It will definitely come together.
Glad you felt that it was worth it.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Look into a BobSled magazine for single round loading. The new one is ramped slightly upward towards the chamber. Just drop the loaded round onto the bobseld and close the bolt. I prefer to get the bullet tip slightly into the chamber first before closing the bolt but that is just me.

One of the Peconic shooters owns this website. You can order one with him.
http://www.eastcoastshootingsupplies.com/Bob-Sled--Cart-Page.html

61 - 66 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.