M14 Forum banner

Long Island High Power League

18997 Views 65 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  mike in pa
I recently joined the Long Island High Power Shooting League. They hold on competition a month out at the exclusive Peconic River Sportsmans Club. If you don't know anything about it look them up on the internet. It only costs $10 to join for the year and $20 to register to shoot at the competitions. It would be wonderful, Visigoth9, if some of you gents would come on out at compete with your 14's. I am the only one shooting one. If you have never competed before, I urge you to give it a try. Last weekend was my first competition and i can tell you I am hooked. If you search for the NY State High Power Association, you will also find the Roslyn Clubs schedule, pretty sure they hold there meets at Calverton.

If you are having trouble finding either of the sites, let me know I will post them here.
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

· Registered
1,224 Posts
How'd you shoot yesterday?

Must have been great to shoot, I had a good time watching the NYC Marathon...at overtime.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Shot the final match at Roslyn, 764-15x, second highest personal score this season. Cold day to shoot. Lost part of my eyesight in the 600 prone to a chilly wind that made my eyes water too badly to see well. Lost some points struggling to see.

Over all a good day. Finished as high Sharpshooter for the season at Peconic. Looking forward to 2012.

Sending my upper off to White Oak for a new barrel on Monday.

· "Death From Above"
12,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I didn't do great but I have been improving. My weakest area is the slow prone, those targets are tight!! I always have a great time, I hope to do it more next year. I am going to participate in the roslyn league as well if I am allowed. I have a krieger barrel I need to send off to WOA as well. I have been holding off because I want to set up a reloading bench with any expendable funds first. Do you think there will be any shoots at camp smith next year? I really would love to shoot a match where the yardage actually changes.I really need the experience adjusting for the wind. I am going to go to perry this year if I have to walk. I still plan on shooting the 14 next season, I may mix it up with the 15. One match I regret missing is the one where they allowed the scoped rifles. I just started to get comfortable when the season ended. Next year I plan on doing all 9 of the LIHP league matches and as many of the roslyn matches I can. Can you suggest any others. I am hoping to shoot over 20 next year at the least. The more I shoot the better I get. I wish I had somewhere to practice other than calverton. Too bad the huntington range closed.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Camp Smith is always a question mark. There are definitely nicer facilities though. You can shoot at Forbes in Albany (600 Yards and out to 1000 for F-Class and Palma), Cherry Ridge in Northern NJ (300 yards), Central Jersey (300 yards), and Cumberland Riflemen in Millville NJ (600 yards).

All have websites and are open to shooters during leage matches. Anyone can shoot during a league match. Even at Roslyn, you'll see most of the Peconic guys there.

I suggest sticking with the M14 or AR15 platform. Its difficult to shoot both effectively as a beginner. The AR is easier to shoot better, cheaper to feed and requires less maintenance to keep it running.

· "Death From Above"
12,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks for the info! I am making a list of reloading equipment to acquire this winter. I have about 4000 pieces of .308 brass that I plan on reloading fo r next season and figure it will cost me about 50 cents a round not including he equipment. not to concerned about the cost difference between the two rounds. I will stick with the 14 then, I want to shoot it at perry next year. I was hooping to shoot at a comp that will be the same as what I will do at perry so I can at least get some exposure before I get there not to mention I need zeros and practice in the wind.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Plan on shooting at Millville NJ. The conditions/lighting and zero's you will get there are very close to Perry. Keep an eye on the NRA Match schedules for Camp Perry which should be posted by April 2012.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
FYI, if the weather cooperates, there's a Winter League Highpower match at Peconic this Sunday at 1000 hours. I am hoping to get my new upper zeroe'd on Friday before the match.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
I'm doing it at work. PD range in the Bronx. Weather forecast has changed, heading there later today, I should have gone yesterday but I wasn't paying attention to the weather 50 degrees in January was a gift. See you Sunday.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
unfortunately, can't make it to Peconic this Sunday. Probably the next one.

· "Death From Above"
12,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Understood. I just finished a NY compliant a2 upper. Like you I have to zero it. Primarily built it for the SAFS class. I may use it for the three winter matches and see how different it is shooting the 15 as opposed to the 14. Want to see if the scores go up at all.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
They will. Once you get used to it you may not go back. Happens to almost all of us. The AR is cheaper to shoot as well.

· "Death From Above"
12,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Thans for the comments. I hope it doesnt happen but if it does so be it. I guess I should have bought more 224 rounds in my last powder valley order. OOOPS I have a couple of thousand rounds of PP 75 grain match. Wonder how that will fair up compared to the remainder of the BH I have.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Just don't mix the ammo. Shoot them separately. I would bet the BHA is more consistent and much better for longer than 200-300 yards. Save the BHA for when you shoot at Camp Smith or Forbes.

START HAND LOADING..DI4

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Heading out on the 19th?

· Registered
1,224 Posts
First 2012 Peconic River summer season match is March 25

· Registered
1,224 Posts
How was SAFS for you and your AR? Pick up anything that you'd consider useful?

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.