M14 Forum banner

Long Island High Power League

18999 Views 65 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  mike in pa
I recently joined the Long Island High Power Shooting League. They hold on competition a month out at the exclusive Peconic River Sportsmans Club. If you don't know anything about it look them up on the internet. It only costs $10 to join for the year and $20 to register to shoot at the competitions. It would be wonderful, Visigoth9, if some of you gents would come on out at compete with your 14's. I am the only one shooting one. If you have never competed before, I urge you to give it a try. Last weekend was my first competition and i can tell you I am hooked. If you search for the NY State High Power Association, you will also find the Roslyn Clubs schedule, pretty sure they hold there meets at Calverton.

If you are having trouble finding either of the sites, let me know I will post them here.
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

· Registered
1,589 Posts
Due to work scheduling, I can't shoot the leg match in NJ this weekend. Working at Ground Zero Sat night and Sunday and Millville is too far for that.

I plan on being at Peconic Saturday morning with one of my 6BRs.
See you then
Hollowed ground for sure. I too have to work Sunday the 11th, going to Boston Logan. Thanks much to you and your fellow officers for standing the watch. We will never forget.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Thanks and you're welcome. Being there is a painful thing. Part of it is because of the 10 years time that has past without having completed construction of the new site. Pisses me off to see a hole in the ground still.

Ken

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Roger that NYstripes. I will be there is I don't get called in myself. I am looking forward to the shoot. I was going to call Ed, I am not even sure if the rifle I want to shoot is a compliant configuration for the match. I know I read scopes but I am not sure if bipods are ok much less the monopod. Each can easily be removed. See you there. I'll look you up but if you see me stop by. I am not sure what a 6br is. Is it the space gun you had at the one match a couple of months ago? I bet you will have a busy weekend down at ground zero.
A 6BR is an interesting cartridge. its essentially a 1.5 inch tall 308 based cartridge necked down to 6mm. Its a benchrest cartridge that has taken the highpower world by storm. When the 6PPC pushed the 6BR to the side in 100-300 yard group matches, the 6BR moved over to F-class and highpower and found a home.
You can read about this little cartridge here.
http://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html
Your bipod should be fine, as will sand bags or f-class type front rests. Slings are ok as well Ed will group shooters into classes depending upon what setup you choose. If you have more than one front rest setup, bring them in case there's an issue.
I will probably shoot an f-class type setup or a use simple Harris bipod.
Ken

· Registered
1,224 Posts
I mounted the Leupold 4.5-14x50mm target scope from my flattop AR onto my Eliseo R5 6BR tubegun today. I used one of the Leupold magnetic bore sighters to get it close since we have a sighting period during the first relay.

Should be a good rig for this match. I would have shot it with irons, but I haven't had the time to get it sighted in yet. The front sight ladder I have was too short and I couldn't get it onto paper. The new one only arrived today.

In case there's a class issue with this rifle, I'll have a Custom Rem700 tactical in 6BR as a backup that I can shoot off of a bipod. I just mounted a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x scope on it.

Ken

· "Death From Above"
12,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
NYstripes those are some sweet looking rifles. It 5am and I'm sitting here in the teterboro pilots lounge with tired eyes. Had a 2am wake up, needless to say I'm not happy about missing the match today. Good luck bring home some of that prize money. I'll look for the result in the email. Ttyl

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Sadly I think 9/11 weekend wasn't the best timing for this shoot. Turnout was OK, wish it was better for the club. Beautiful day to shoot, shot well, not sure where I placed in F-Class. I had some trouble getting the scope sighted in on the line, couldn't get it completely done in the 5 min sighting period. Missed the first shot for record. I managed to get it sorted and was a work in progress from the 2nd shot on. Cleaned the 2nd relay with a 200-11x. In the end, I think I shot a 583-26x out of 600. The 6BR tube gun was a hammer.

I had just hoped the bore sighter worked a little better. That first miss was going to be a issue and I was right. I lost by 4 points.

The format was definitely fun, hope to see it again next spring/summer.
Ken

· "Death From Above"
12,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I am happy to hear you did so well. I had a day from hell. Had a 2am wake up for a 3 am show and a 4 am wheels up. Picked up in Teterboro then flew to Eastport Maine(Moose Island) During the landing roll out I lost my right brake. Long story short I got stuck there all day I did not walk through the door until around midnight. I managed to crash out in the back of the plane for a couple of hours and once again I my rhythm is screwed up. A mechanic flew up commercial from LGA, I thought it may have been the right brake pedal master cylinder. Turns out the system was over serviced meaning the reservoir was over full and caused an air bubble.
To boot, the guys I flew up there were there for an auction. They were bidding on 20 million cubic yards of sand. Turns out a guy that was also bidding had right of first refusal and when the bidding started he evoked his right and there was no bidding. So instead of sitting there all day and night, I could have shot the match. I had a premonition about this flight, I knew something was going to go wrong. I don't know how I do it but the last time I had that feeling the outer pane of my windshield broke on my way out to Lake Front at 26000 feet. She said form now on if I have that feeling she doesn't want me to fly. I said thats the stuff that make it exciting. She just looked at me.
I think there is a regular match next weekend, or is that the one up at camp smith. I have to look at the schedule. Again glad you had a good time and did so well.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
I'll be at Peconic next weekend. Have plans after the match and Camp Smith would be too far for me to do both.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
My brother is also a pilot, lives in that area

· Registered
1,224 Posts
My brother is just a private pilot, rents a plane when he wants to get air time. Just a coincidence with the names.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Sounds good. I think I'll have my M1a with me for a change. Been itching to shoot it.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
Shot like crap Sunday. M1a was misbehaving. 300 rapids, my bolt locked. 600 prone wasn;t much better. Nice day to shoot though.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.