M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
"Death From Above"
11,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently joined the Long Island High Power Shooting League. They hold on competition a month out at the exclusive Peconic River Sportsmans Club. If you don't know anything about it look them up on the internet. It only costs $10 to join for the year and $20 to register to shoot at the competitions. It would be wonderful, Visigoth9, if some of you gents would come on out at compete with your 14's. I am the only one shooting one. If you have never competed before, I urge you to give it a try. Last weekend was my first competition and i can tell you I am hooked. If you search for the NY State High Power Association, you will also find the Roslyn Clubs schedule, pretty sure they hold there meets at Calverton.

If you are having trouble finding either of the sites, let me know I will post them here.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I shoot there regularly, I am primarily shooting my AR these days but I occasionally still bring my M1a out for matches. I think that after Camp Perry, I'll put the AR15 away and shoot my M1a and my new 6BR Match rifle for the remainder of the season.

I did see one M1a in USMC camo on the line last weekend.

Roslyn is a private shooting club that is North of the LIE at Exit 71. Its actually parallel to the Westbound LIE. When you get off of Exit 71, make the left onto Edwards Avenue, pass the Hess gas station and make the next left onto Mill Road. The entrance to Roslyn Gub Club is about 2/10 mile on the left near the first houses you'll see that are on the right. Its a dirt road.

Ken

·
"Death From Above"
11,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ken if you are talking about the match last saturday that was me. Bruce was coaching me. Next time out will be July 16th stop by and say hey. Were you at the other end if the line with all the good shooters? Lol. After the match I was at home the next day cleaning my rifle only to discover the new reproduction flash hider I picked up at LRB was a little loose. I hope to do better next time out. It was moving a couple of millimeters left and right. I'm not sure how it affected my scores but it certainly affected the groups. I had so much fun at that shoot. It was my first one and won't be my last. I am going to look into shooting with the Roslyn club. If you have a contact it would be greatly appreciated. Ed the president of the LIHP league is a nice guy, he as well as Bruce offered to give me some one on one time after on of the matches. Not the next one because there is going to be another team event right after the match. I doubt I'll get licked up on a team but the next time out I will stick around to help in the Pitts.
I had a USGI fh on the rifle and recently swapped it out to be NY compliant. I bought a repro over at LRB and ground the wings off the lug. I installed it tight but I guess after shooting it it worked it's way loose and needed another 1/3 turn tighter. It's on there Rick solid now. I'm also building another my compliant upper for my 15 but I want to stick with the 14 for now. The hardest part about getting set up for menses getting in and out of the new les tam sling. It's going to take a while to break it in I guess. It's all new to me, I have not shot from any positions in a little over 20 years. Had a great time. I probably ran into you and didn't even know it. Were you all the way over on the right side of the line?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I was in the trailer in the AM when Ed was registering everyone. I helped out by issuing some loaner equipment. I may have set you up with a loaner scope and matt. Was that you?

I'll more than likely be there on the 16th of July. I was hoping to stay for the 4 man team practice match last week but the wife had other plans for me. I was shooting on point 18 in relay 1.

I had a good day, ty offhand and I still managed my personal best that day with a 759 with 19x's.

The contact at Roslyn is Mike ([email protected]), there's a match there this Sunday, June 19th, squadding starts at 0715. The Next Roslyn match after that is July 10th. Same times.

June 25th there is a 200 yard any sight match at Roslyn as well 0800 hours. I may try to make that. Not sure yet.

See you there next time out. I may have the 6BR out for the prone match, just not planning on shooting it much until after Camp Perry.
Ken

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Have you made any more of the matches at Peconic?

·
"Death From Above"
11,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was there for the July 16th shoot and will be for the august 21st shoot. As a matter of fact I think I saw you too. Did you have your space gun with you? I met another guy from the other forum his name is doug. I'll be there and yes it was me you set up with a mat and scope. I have yet to purchase either. I'm leaning towards the konus 100. Seems to be very popular.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I should be there on Aug21st. See you then. Until then, practice/dry fire.

Ken

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Change of plans, I won't be shooting at Peconic on the 21st. I will be shooting at Cherry Ridge at a 300 yard reduced match. Need to straighten out my 300 yard zero before the World Games at Camp Smith.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Cherry Ridge is in Northern, NJ. Supposed to be a really nice facility.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Cumberland Riflemen, great facility

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
How did it go yesterday?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
10th of September, its an any rifle/any sight match. There's a Leg Match in NJ that day in Millville NJ. I am on the fence.

Ken

·
"Death From Above"
11,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll be at PRSC I'll be dragging an AR-15 with a 28 inch Krieger barrel and a leupold scope. I'll be curious to see what everyone shows up with. It's going to be hard to score I think. It would be interesting if the wind is up. The one on the left is what I'm bringing obviously. The one on the right is a clone in .308 that I'm still waiting on the barrel.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Due to work scheduling, I can't shoot the leg match in NJ this weekend. Working at Ground Zero Sat night and Sunday and Millville is too far for that.

I plan on being at Peconic Saturday morning with one of my 6BRs.
See you then

·
"Death From Above"
11,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Roger that NYstripes. I will be there is I don't get called in myself. I am looking forward to the shoot. I was going to call Ed, I am not even sure if the rifle I want to shoot is a compliant configuration for the match. I know I read scopes but I am not sure if bipods are ok much less the monopod. Each can easily be removed. See you there. I'll look you up but if you see me stop by. I am not sure what a 6br is. Is it the space gun you had at the one match a couple of months ago? I bet you will have a busy weekend down at ground zero.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.