M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is a lot of talk about "bugging out" when TSHTF in this country, but I do not plan on going anywhere for a national disaster, and in fact will only "bug out" if a disaster is such that it makes my home area untenable.

I was raised on a farm 2 &1/2 miles from where I currently live and still have the land there as well as relatives living down the road. Our current home is on 16 fenced acres and backs up to 600 acres of school owned land that is used to raise timber. We have only been here a year, and I plan to add chicken, goats, and a couple of horses, as well as put in a garden site, plant fruit trees, and build a pond for the livestock and for fishing. My land down the road is 200 open and forested acres with two large ponds, beaver lakes, a canal, springs, pecan trees, and abundant wildlife. I am going to fix the fences there a section at a time and start buying cattle as time allows. When I was a kid, we ran 100 head, but I don't think I will get that many again.

My area is relatively rural as you can see below.

According to the 2010 census information, my home county had 21,720 residents. I saw an estimate today that as of 2013, that number has dropped to 21,689. According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 579.58 square miles (1,501.1 km2), of which 578.03 square miles (1,497.1 km2) (or 99.73%) is land and 1.55 square miles (4.0 km2) (or 0.27%) is water.

With 21,689 people, my county is the 44th most populated county in the state out of 82 counties.

I know many people can not afford to live in a rural area such as we do, and plans to "bug out" are indeed a viable strategy. For those bugging out, do you have a specific location in mind? What seems to be the consensus on here? Are most people planning to stay in place and only "bug out" if forced to do so? How many urban vs rural dwellers do we have that come to the Broken Arrow section.
I don't know how to post a poll so I will just ask it below in this post and if you want to add an option, please do.

In a national disaster, (Collapse of the economy, EMP strike, Pandemic, etc) what would you most likely do?
1. Stay (urban)
2. Stay (rural)
3. Bug Out immediately (urban)
4. Bug out immediately (rural)
5. Stay put unless forced to move (Currently Urban)
6. Stay put unless forced to move (Currently Rural)
7. Other

·
Registered
136 Posts
I plan to stay put unless I absolutely have to bug out. That would be a last resort. So my preps are designed for a bug in/stay put scenario.
However, I do have a bug out plan and location if absolutely necessary.

We do not live in a big city, this is more of an urban environment however we are very close to a bunch of natural resources which aid in my prep plans.

Reactions: Deek

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'll stay where I'm at. Rural. Got plenty of fresh water with 3 ponds, 3 wells, and a large creek on the farm here. Plenty of fresh meat and fish for the taking. Grow and can or freeze most of my vegetables. Make wine myself. Got a pretty good stockpile of other things I'd need too. A country boy can survive!

·
Registered
826 Posts
About the only reason I wouldn't stay in my area is if there is a nuclear incident. My town is relatively small and isolated from a lot of stuff. We have what we would need here to weather just about anything except what I have mentioned. If there is an incident and I need to "bug out" I have an extremely remote location planned and a route to get to it that circumnavigates all highways. There is a family owned cabin there so I would not be without resources upon arrival. I would still need to take most of my supplies with me as I do not have a stockpile at that location. It is approximately 200 miles away so although I don't have to get on any highways to get there, there is plenty of opportunity for a "situation" along the way. Hence the reason my family is well armed and well trained.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Unfortunately stationed in an urban area, 1.5 million plus people. Until I separate, the plan would be to bug out and head west(Virginia/Tennessee/Kentucky). Once I separate and head back to Minnesota, the plan is to live as far away from the Twin Cities as I can, but I will be working there, so I will only be able to settle down a certain distance away.

·
Registered
459 Posts
thought provoking post..

Isn't to 'bug out' to become a refugee of sorts?

My plan would be to stay (rural)...

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Thing about the frozen north is that, like anywhere, you might have to bug out but it's always going to end badly in the winter, even if you do survive a few. I basically plan to shelter in place but am always prepared to do the Grizzly Adams thing. At least I'll die having fun!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to mention that down the road where I grew up is a well, and though the home is now on rural water, the well is still usable. Also there is a very large pond (8 acres) about 200 yards in front of my current home (we are about a 1/4 mile off the road), where we could secure water in an emergency, but it would have to be boiled and filtered due to cattle in the field.

I am planning on putting in a Hardy Heater and a well at our new home.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
The 'bugging out' concept should also involve 'bugging back.' You need to plan for when the comet strikes the earth and you're far away from the home bunker. A normal thing for commuters, but I'm talking about greater distances.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Everyone should have a bug out plan because there is always that one thing you hadn't planned on that can cause you to have to bug out. For me, that would probably be a forest fire.

To bug out without a particular destination or doable means of getting there, you are a refugee. Your chances of survival will be very slim. Add too young or too old in the mix & your chances are even less.

Rule of thumb is not having a bug out location more then one tank of gasoline can take you.

I'm very rural. 25 miles north to the nearest city. 15 miles south to the nearest town. And another 20 miles past that town to the nearest city. Huge river & lake blocking my east & nothing to the west. My nearest bug out location is 35 miles. That property will flood so I don't have anything caches there. My other location is 412 miles away.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My plan is to bug out in a vehicle until/unless that is no longer a viable option. I don't like the idea of being in an urban area in damn near any possible SHTF scenario. I guess to an extent that would put me in refugee status. But I already have a Katadyn water filter and Micropur tablets for several months worth of water. Add to that ammo, weapons, cold/wet weather gear, spare footwear, etc. I may not have gear for every contingency, but I'd rather be out in the woods on foot than stuck in the city. At least until I can build a forever home a fair distance from urban areas(at least 20-30 miles).

Reactions: Deek

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Personally,
after much MUCH thought regarding if/when TSHTF or TEOTWAWKI, AND "bugging about" , ( IN? OR OUT??) I chose to locate on a beautiful Tropical Paradise called Vancouver Island.
aka "Fantasy Island" ...Mon!

I have lived here most of the last 35 years, with only a few sde trips to work WAYYYYyyyyup North in central BC. And except for those occasional scares from various earth movements, I have rarely regretted this decision.

These days I no longer live on a secluded rural acreage ( my ex just sold it last month and I wll get paid out my share of the $$$ next month). These days I consider myself a "vagabond/Gypsy/wanderer) aka a homeless person, and live rough ( in a 36' motorhome with TV and TWO massive air conditioners).

I have returned to my roots as the guy who wandered around for decades ina VW camper van. But these days, we are no longer considered Hippies". We have upgraded ourselves to the new name of "OVERLANDERS". We are tge ones who are more concerned about the journey rather than ticki g of destinations on some list. We are the ones who choose to wander, even when we are not lost. We are the ones who seek out " the road less travelled".

And if TSHTF, OR TEOTWAWKI catches up to us onthe road, well then it is just another adventure to deal with.

I amstill spending my Summers on "Fantasy Island", but now, as a Retired Gentleman of Leisure, I choose to spend my Winters some where warmer and more Southern.

And I don' t let my almost certainty that sooner or later, the Fertiliser really will impact the Ventilator, get in the way if enjoying THE PRESENT ...
one day at a time.

This works for me ...
YPMMV
LAZ 1

·
Registered
272 Posts
Those that say they will bug out to the woods or hills forget one thing. There are already people living out there in most cases & don't expect to be welcomed. Just saying.
I haven't forgotten it, I guess I just have to hope at that point that me and my woman aren't gunned down on sight. I would like to think people will still abide by some "Rules of Engagement" so to speak.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
If you are going to bug out, do it early.

Here is a problem I see from those leaving cities. Most are going to have to go threw suburbs then rural. Good chance they have firearms but being city slickers little else as far as preps. They will try to scavenge what they can as they go. Being most will not be outdoorsmen, they will try to raid homes for canned goods & such. Still others will try raiding peoples gardens or even stealing chickens. And still others shooting people's goats, cows, etc. And when someone shoots at the family dog all out war will be declared.
People will not tolerate much of this & quickly become hostile toward all transients.

My opinion is the entitlists will sit & wait for their handouts. Lack of water & food they won't have the strength or energy to bugout when they decide help may not be coming. Think about hurricane Katrina & the superdome.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Personally,
after much MUCH thought regarding if/when TSHTF or TEOTWAWKI, AND "bugging about" , ( IN? OR OUT??) I chose to locate on a beautiful Tropical Paradise called Vancouver Island.
aka "Fantasy Island" ...Mon!
I amstill spending my Summers on "Fantasy Island", but now, as a Retired Gentleman of Leisure, I choose to spend my Winters some where warmer and more Southern.

I have always wanted to visit Prince of Wales Island, and your mentioning Vancouver Island caught my interest, so I went here: http://www.hellobc.com/vancouver-island/climate-weather.aspx and it seems like the weather would be nice year round if you had a fixed homestead, 30-40 acres, some livestock and chickens, and were generally set up to weather a collapse of civilization as we know it...but I agree, not so much so if you were living in an RV during winter though.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Those that say they will bug out to the woods or hills forget one thing. There are already people living out there in most cases & don't expect to be welcomed. Just saying.
I agree - People already living in the country are not going to be very open to sharing their resources with newcomers unless they bring a needed skill such as an RN or MD.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts