M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just tried out my new new M1A loaded and I'm having loading problems. I ran 25 rounds and then it started jamming up on me. The round will eject and will not load. I have tried different mags with the same result. I went back home and field stripped / cleaned again but have not had a chance to try. Is this a common problem?

·
Registered
409 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. Lots of great information around here.

Second, your concern.

Would you please offer a few more details on what exactly is or is not happening. The more detailed you can be, the better advise you will receive from the more seasoned shooters.

Thanks,GI2

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
Give us a little more to work with;
Model, barrel length, used or new, any idea of kind of parts ( USGI or other), what type of ammo, under what conditions were you shooting, etc.

It could have been as simple as the gas cylinder plug having loosened, this will lessen the gas pressure and can cause the weapon to short cycle (the bolt will not go all the way to the rear) and therefor the bolt will not strip the next round from the magazine. Test the rifle and if it happens again make sure that the plug is tight.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new rifle. Check your gas valve and make sure that it is all the way open. What grain ammo are you shooting?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new rifle. Check your gas valve and make sure that it is all the way open. What grain ammo are you shooting?

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
Welocme to the forum! You may want to place this problem in the firingline section it will get more attention there. Sounds like what you are experiencing is called short stroking. The symptom is this a round ejects but the next round is not stripped off the mag. Is this what is happening? Typical questions you will be asked, what ammo are you using, is it a new rifle or used, have you tried the "tilt test"? I can never find the link to the stickies section when I need it but that's where you can find a description of the tilt test. Essentilly you remove the actioin from the stock. Remove the spring and spring guide. Then simply tilt the rifle for and adt to observe how the op rod and bolt move. They should move freely. In addition you should see the stem of the piston coming out of the rear of the gas cylinder. Check the allignment of the op rod and the rear of the gas cylinder , they should square up on each other. If it passes put the action back in the stock without the spring and spring guide try the tilt test again. If it passes install the trigger group try the test again. If it passes all the above you pretty much eliminate the action hanging up during it's cycling. If it binds try and figure out where it is binding. Could be the op rod is rubbing on the inside of the stock look for a wear spot. If so then chances are you have already determined that you op rod guide is not alligned. If it's not just tap it with a small hammer until the rear of the piston stem and front of the op rod line up. Another thing to check is the bolt stop. Make sure it's not hanging up on the bolt as it move forward and aft. A small missalignment on the op rod guide will cause drag on the op rod tab in the track it rides in. It has already been mentioned but make sure the gas plug is tight and that the port on the barrel and the port on the gas cylinder line up. You can use a small Allen key and stick it in the hole on the bottom of the gas cylinder it should go all the way into through the gas port on the barrel into the bore. After you check these items get back to us. It will require more diagnosing. How does the action lock up in the stok when you push the trigger guard down? Is it tight? One thing for sure please don't be discouraged. QC at sai has been a hot topic here on the forum. Everyonce in a while a rifle slips through the cracks over there and we hear about them more often than not as of late. Your among friends here! We will get you up and running in no time! Keep the faith brother!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
rdog1959: Good info here from the gang ... GI2

Good Luck rdog and keep us posted.

No Ex ... Luv that signature sir ...GI2GI1

Six

1 - 9 of 9 Posts