M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got in a large batch of Nosler 168 gr JHP bullets to reload for my Garand. I've never used these before so I hope that some of the regulars here can clue me in for their favorite IMR-4895 load for these bullets.

Also, the Nosler webpage for this cartridge lists the COAL as 3.320". This seems long for Garand loading (Sierra and Hornady both show 3.240" for their 168 JHPs). What say all of you?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
you can use the sierra or hornady data... infact i rarely use any of the sugguested COL in books. really the only time i do is for pistol rounds or for plinking with the rifle. i usually go with just shy of mag length...

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just got in a large batch of Nosler 168 gr JHP bullets to reload for my Garand. I've never used these before so I hope that some of the regulars here can clue me in for their favorite IMR-4895 load for these bullets.

Also, the Nosler webpage for this cartridge lists the COAL as 3.320". This seems long for Garand loading (Sierra and Hornady both show 3.240" for their 168 JHPs). What say all of you?

Thanks.
What results did you get with the Nosler's?? I've got a BIG box of them coming to use at 600...best price i've found and available to boot. Will use in M1

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
Awesome. Nosler CC and SMK can be treated as the same.

46 gr IMR4895
HXP case
CCI 34 primer
OAL 3.30-3.34"

155 gr Nosler CC also shoot very well from the M1. Just use 1 more grain of powder.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My M1 Garand load:

LC Brass
46.5 grains of IMR 4895
168 grain Sierra Match King
Remington 9 !/2 Primer
Seated to 3.30 COAL
No crimp

The Nosler CC's are great bullets, and very comparable to the Sierras. I have only fired a few hundred of the 168 CCs, and could not tell any difference in performance from the Sierras. Price is right too. Good luck!

·
Registered
252 Posts
About the seating depth... I found the best performing load was seated to 3.305 in my rifle. It's a fairly new Criterion barrel. They shot so much better than the ones I seated to 3.320 I couldn't believe the difference. Weird.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.