M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new Loaded SAI 1911. Looking over load data and noticed some powders only differ by .3-.4 grains from min to max load. I would greatly appreiciate it if anyone has any load preference using 230 gr. FMJ's. I reload for 308 regularly but have never loaded pistol. I saw that Winchester 231 has a variance of 1 gr. Also if anyone knows the "scary" pressures for a 1911 like there are for the m1a. Thanks

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
That's because pistols only take 3-4 grains to begin with. As for pressure the danger is in double charging one. At least with 45ACP it is a short stubby round my 38special loads use 3.1 grains of powder in a much taller case.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
MtTom,

I literally just got done with 250 rounds on my dillon.
5.8gn of Unique. 230 gn bullet. Cci large pistol primers. Seated to 1.2550 ish. 1.275 is max.
I like unique because I set it at 5.8 and load 9mm(115gn) with the same load.
Powder numbers vary per powder. Some books are lower, some are higher. Look to the book. I have a Speer, Hornady(for the M14), and a Lyman.
I look for powders that have similar load data for 9mm and 45acp, but thats me. Check your books, hopefully you have more than one to compare numbers. Most publishers are similar but there are those few odd balls. Of course, some books don't have powders that other books have tested.
Accurate No.7, power pistol, Unique, bullseye. All work well. Some people clock their loads...I do not. I am not a match shooter. Some people like a cleaner powder, I say, if ya clean your gun it shouldn't matter.
As far as scary pressures go, chrono factory ammo and try to duplicate velocity. Some say factory ammo is on the low side. Unless its the good stuff. The 25.00 per 20round stuff. Or, just look for those tell tail signs of over pressure.

PM me if ya have any questions what-so-ever my friend. I'm around.

Deuces

Reactions: MtTom

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Try 5.0 of Red Dot. This has been my recipe for 40 years. Tests revealed that 4.8 will be in the group, and 5.2 will not hurt anything. One 1911 we tested at Quantico took 14 (fourteen) grains of Bullseye to damage the gun. I have several times shot over 1,000 rounds of Red Dot loads without cleaning, and without malfs.

Reactions: MtTom
1 - 4 of 4 Posts