M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to loading for a 243Winchester.
My cousin purchased some 55gr 6mm(.243dia) Blitzkings for me.
I used an OAL guage for seating depth and these bullets will not seat to the depth I want. (just short of the lands) They seem to be a bit short even with the proper 2.710 coal.
Any suggestions?
Just going to use them for practice ammo. What COAL should I be leaning toward with these 55grainers. Maybe 2.6....maybe 2.550?
hmmm

Dutch

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have hunted coyotes for years with a 243 using Nosler 55 grain ballistic tips.

The rule of thumb that I use when seating short for caliber bullets is to use a minimum of one bullet diameter seating depth to start and work deeper from there.

The COAL for my Ballistic tip loads was 2.625" neck tension at that depth was more than adequate (for the Noslers).

It would take a couple of raps with a kinetic billet puller to remove the bullet from the case at this length.

When fired in my Ruger 77 MKII Target accuracy was amazing and velocity was well over 4000 fps with a stiff charge of H4895.

Bullets in this weight class are extremely effective on varmints:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Built a Rem 700 243 Ackley, shooting 55 gr. Sierra blitz, Varget Powder. I seat my bullets right close to ATCDoktor, coal (2.625-2.630). I load couple then cycle through the action. Accuracy is great. Nosler's ballstic tips, are hard to beat for accuracy, just to big of a hole to sew up. The Sierra 55's, moving down range well over 4000 FPS. I use this rifle over my 22 250 when hunting the Flint Hills in KS. late season

1 - 3 of 3 Posts