M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...I'm new to this, think I posted incorrectly earlier... looking back in front of me.
Anyway, I'm picking up a new M1a Loaded on the 27th of this month. Is there anything I should do as far as cleaning or any pre op steps I should take prior to shooting? Should I punch a group at 25 yds before moving out to 100? I don't plan on putting glass on this rifle, hope iron sights will work out. I have some match 168s and match 147s, have heard 168s are the favorite for this rig. I don't expect cloverleafs or MOA prints out there, just want to do my part and call it a party. Like an old boy in deer camp once said..."the prettiest girl in church might not make the best pie." I'm not sure what that meant, just threw it in.
Any suggestions appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Definitely clean it and lube it before going shooting. Don't be too disappointed if it doesn't shoot as well as you hope with irons. I've shot many one [not so ragged] hole groups with optics, but I can't hold better than a 2" group with irons.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I recommend checking the gas plug to make sure it is on tight. And check the gas plug again after firing about 80 rounds.

And you might make a note as to the alignment of the op rod to the gas piston before and after shooting. The op rod guide may drift on you, which is acceptable as long as there is no overhang where they meet.

Try setting your iron sight elevation at about eight clicks from zero.

Don't baby this rifle on the bench, use a very positive trigger pull to avoid doubles.

Please say something if you need a review of basic safety or a rundown of range rules and etiquette (like not spraying brass at the guy next to you).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Tm says 8-12 clicks from bottoming out for 100 yards. Take your time and adjust. I do 3-5 rd groups then adjust. 14 clicks is my 100 yrd zero putting I'n bulls supported standing unsupported 9 ring works for me. Clean rifle before shooting it , if you can pick up training manual and read it . As far as the best looking girl in church might not make a good pie She may look really pretty but can she cook?I'm old I want someone who can cook one of the few joys in life I have!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.