M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting an M1A. I can get a great deal on either. Springfield's catalog shows the only difference is a different rear sight between the two. I'm assuming the rest of the differences will be internal. Just wondering if the National Match is worth the extra money.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Depends on what you are going to do with it.
There are more differences.
You get the unitized gas cylinder as mentioned above, hooded rear aperture, NM spring guide, I believe the trigger has had some work beyond that of the loaded and the action is bedded.
Not knowing what the deal you are getting is, the NM is worth a few hundred more dollars.

·
"Death From Above"
11,935 Posts
Either one will work but I think the big difference is in the barrel and if you went with the Douglas or Krieger barrel the NM will have an edge on the loaded in accuracy. The match will have all the mods rather than just a couple that come on the loaded. If it's match accuracy your looking for and like to shoot and hit them little x's I would op for the NM or a SM. I went with a SM.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Ditto 82nd.
The SA site lists both the loaded and NM as having the med weight Douglass barrel. I do not know if they are exactly the same.
If you buy the loaded it gives you the opportunity to experiment and then upgrade as you see fit.
- different stock for bedding
- Sadlak guide and piston or other
- optic if you like or match rear aperture
If you think you want something other than the Douglass barrel, you should probably just move to having your own gun built.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
In my humble opinion, if you're wanting an M1A that shoots good, get the loaded model. If you're wanting one to compete with, still just get the loaded model and send it to a reputable M1A smith for the upgrades. Nothing really wrong with the SAI NM work but a good local smith will put more effort into it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Enjoy your National Match. When I was looking for my M1A I settled on the Super Match and have been more than pleased with its performance. It will outshoot me any day. That said it does create an incentive to perform better each time I take it to the range. It's a slow go for me though. The rifle is a '93 model. :)

·
Registered
914 Posts
You pays yur money and takes yur choice

The NM does have the epoxy bedding feature, which in my book i worth it. As well, the stainless NM bbl (which, in current builds) is, I believe, a Krieger Criterion (as in: semi-production level versus their full match bbls) bbl, and if you check out my recent post, I shot a great < 1" group first four shots (with the fifth, it opened up to a wopping 1.01"..... ). (Yeah, with a Leupold 2 - 7X scope I'll admit, but hey; you probably don' have my well-aged eyes either!)

http://m14forum.com/ammunition/101088-first-serious-range-results-my-sai-nm.html

Not bad for out of the box! GI2

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
In my humble opinion, if you're wanting an M1A that shoots good, get the loaded model. If you're wanting one to compete with, still just get the loaded model and send it to a reputable M1A smith for the upgrades. Nothing really wrong with the SAI NM work but a good local smith will put more effort into it.
2nd that. With the loaded, you have the option of customizing to your taste or needs with some of the work already done for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.