M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there. I was given a box of these with one request... To see if they work in the M14. Powders that I have are imr 4064 and reloader 15. I use wcc cases with wlr primers. Though for this I might use Tull ammo non corrosive primers. Please send your thoughts when you get a moment. Thanks in advance.

Pete

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
Hi there. I was given a box of these with one request... To see if they work in the M14. Powders that I have are imr 4064 and reloader 15. I use wcc cases with wlr primers. Though for this I might use Tull ammo non corrosive primers. Please send your thoughts when you get a moment. Thanks in advance.

Pete
In my opinion I'd work with the IMR 4064 (assuming that you are using a 22" barrel), port pressures will stay within a safe range to higher velocities than if you were to use RL15.

About 46gr of 4064 will probably be your max load with pressures of about 50,000 PSI and velocities of around 2800 fps. My guess is that you will get some good groups using 42.5 grains of IMR 4064, your velocities should be around 2600 fps, the chamber pressures will be very light so the recoil should be very light.

Reactions: CSWI SAMI

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rammac! Thanks much! I will take this on board and start working up some loads.

I did get my hands on some IMR 4895. Any info in this would also be really beneficial.

Yes, I am using a full length barrel. Thanks again.

Pete

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure that these are designed for the 300blk though I may be wrong. The canelure is way off of where it appears that it should be. The ogive is way different though. I'm sure this is already old news for you guys. I loaded some up and will try them tomorrow. They are super short and I hope they chamber normal.

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
I'm pretty sure that these are designed for the 300blk though I may be wrong. The canelure is way off of where it appears that it should be. The ogive is way different though. I'm sure this is already old news for you guys. I loaded some up and will try them tomorrow. They are super short and I hope they chamber normal.
How short, if they are shorter than 2.80" then the max load will be less, be careful.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. Max length is 2.75. I contacted Nosler for some advice on this load. Turns out only a few hundred thousand of these things were ever made. The guy I the phone wasn't even sure what the bullets were produced for. He did mention am that based on the ogive and the way it's angle is that he assumes it was for the ak47. He mentioned that most ak47s have a 311 bore but that some were 308 diameter. He still doesn't know and not did anyone else at nosler that day. In fact they were all surprised that I had some if this. 500 total projectiles and they have never had a call in in this stuff before.

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
Well now that I've got my head out of my backside I think I'll change my answer a little, I don't know why I didn't bother checking the bullet length and amount of bullet inside the case, I should have known that you would need to shorten the overall length.

Anyways, both powders will work and you will be limited on the max powder charge by the fact that the case will fill up before you can max out the pressures. I still like IMR 4064 just a little better than RL15 but they are both workable, the port pressure will be slightly less with 4064 but there wont be so much difference as to create a concern. You will use less powder per charge with 4064 so your powder will last longer.

With IMR 4064, if you could compress the load enough, you could probably go as high as 47.3 grains without causing damage to you or your rifle. Muzzle velocity would be up around 2950 fps and chamber pressure around 56,000 PSI, a little hotter than I'd like but still usable. This is a very top end load and I wouldn't go any higher, in fact I don't think you could anyways since it would be pretty compressed. Most often I get my most accurate loads by dropping at least 1 grain less than the max load but most often that's with heavier bullets, I'd bet that your best groups will be with a smaller powder charge but I'm not sure how much smaller.

I think in this case I'd recommend working with a powder charge weight of around 43.8 grains of IMR 4064. This is a larger charge weight than I recommended earlier but after studying things a little better I've come to the conclusion that I think this might be a better load. The muzzle velocity will be about 100 fps faster (around 2725 fps) but both the chamber and the port pressures will be well below max and the load should be pretty easy to handle with very light recoil. I'd expect that you will find a nice group somewhere from 43 - 44 grains of powder.

If you want to try RL15 then I'd use a powder charge of 44.5 - 45.5 grains, this will increase the velocities by about 25 fps or so but you should get about the same kind of performance as the IMR 4064 load I recommended.

Reactions: CSWI SAMI

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RAMMAC,

Thanks again! I have started to make some and hopefully today if I can manage to squeak outta work un-noticed I will go to the range and try some bullets.

Do you have any recommendations with using IMR 4895?

Thanks again...

Pete

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So this is my load that I developed using IMR 4895. 42.5 grains at 100 yards and some really quick shooting. I'm going to make some more of this load and really slow it down to take my time on the shots. I will also be testing the 4064 and r15 type powders.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts