M14 Forum banner

Load Bearing gear

12687 Views 51 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  RAMMAC
Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in "Your War", but since I don't like armor I'll put it here. Yes, I prefer not to wear armor, it's hot, heavy and constricting and there's so much that it doesn't protect against. I'm not here to debate that though.

I have an old IIFS Tactical LBV I picked up at a surplus store years ago. I love the design, especially the slanted mag pockets, but I'm not going to be carrying (or probably ever even owning) 5.56 around, so unfortunately it's not very useful to me. Now that I'm finally getting an M14, I need something similar to hold 7.62 mags and other assorted necessities with. So far I haven't found anything with slanted mag pockets (or slanted MOLLE straps) on the chest, so I'm not going to make it a requirement. Modularity is nice, but not inherently necessary IMO. If my LBV held 7.62 I'd easily pick it over any modern system I've seen, and its only modularity comes from using ALICE clips on the equipment belt. I have no preference between ALICE and MOLLE, though I might like ALICE just a little bit more. Not enough to hold back on MOLLE.

I'd even wear a plain jane ALICE LBE if the weight distribution weren't so God-afwul.

As far as camo goes, I have to be able to blend into woodlands. ATACS FG is nice but not necessary.

Who's got ideas?
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't think that would work since they're sewn on, and removing them would probably screw up the mesh. Also I wouldn't know where to find M14 pouches to sew in place, though I suppose any pouch might work if I got that far. Pic for reference:

· Registered
7,519 Posts
Stores that cater to the paintball crowd have a better selection of gear than most armies and from what I've seen it's often top quality. Worth taking a look in those places.

· Registered
4,020 Posts
Stores that cater to the paintball crowd have a better selection of gear than most armies and from what I've seen it's often top quality. Worth taking a look in those places.
Airsoft stores as well. Seems the kids get great gear to shoot bbs at each other.

· Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed, though it's airsoft not paintball since airsoft is the one that tries to replicate real-world guns and gear. Funny thing about that is that all the places I know that cater to airsoft are surplus stores and tactical mil/LEO stores, all of which I already frequent

· Registered
857 Posts
Those pouches on your LBV should hold 1 m14 mag each, for a total of 4

· Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those pouches on your LBV should hold 1 m14 mag each, for a total of 4
Interesting, I did not know that. My mags haven't come in yet to try. Maybe I'll just get an ALICE 7.62 mag pouch and stick it on the belt and be done with it.

Thanks!

EDIT: That link is also interesting, though out of stock. Maybe I'll drop some cash on it later on if they restock it, or I find it elsewhere.

· Registered
857 Posts
that one was made by Rothco or Mil Spec Plus, its made to GI standards but sewn together abroad, I have one I used for a while by the same, good gear. I dont use mine anymore though, also Ebay has them for a decent price usually and they are often USGI

Reactions: LausDeo

· Registered
4,084 Posts
Don't think that would work since they're sewn on, and removing them would probably screw up the mesh. Also I wouldn't know where to find M14 pouches to sew in place, though I suppose any pouch might work if I got that far. Pic for reference:
I bought my last pouches here and was well pleased with them. I believe they were considerably cheaper when I ordered though, but it has been a few years.

http://www.charleyssurplus.com/army...r/m14_navy_issue_od_double_mag_pouch_wdivider

Reactions: LausDeo

· Super Moderator
2,409 Posts
Don't buy Crap!

got to SKD or SOE and get something you will only need to buy once.

If you are considering SAPI or ESAPI plates in a carrier or other body armor it is important to buy pouches that will work in your system.

A great low speed/affordable 762 x 51 chest rig can be found here:

http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-Chest-Rig-Bush-Boar-A1-p/ess.502.htm

Eagle also makes a universal rig that is decent quality and will also accept sidearm mags/surefire/leatherman, etc

· Registered
368 Posts
Best of luck with that. I really dislike chest rigs or pouches. Going prone becomes painful and possibly harmful with them. I'm old school and stuck with the Alice gear that I lived with for a couple decades. I got the M14 2 mag pouches from Charlies Surplus.

· Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Best of luck with that. I really dislike chest rigs or pouches. Going prone becomes painful and possibly harmful with them. I'm old school and stuck with the Alice gear that I lived with for a couple decades. I got the M14 2 mag pouches from Charlies Surplus.
That's why I like my vest-- everything is more evenly distributed across the front and easily accessible. Diving into prone hurts less when you increase the surface area and lower the profile of what contacts with the ground, which is why even the old ALICE LBE is a PITA (or waist) to me. My larger problem with the LBE is that it just doesn't distribute the weight very well, at least on me, so the tops of my shoulders and that vertibra that sticks out under the neck end up bearing all the pain, rather than distributing the weight amongst the entirety of my shoulders and back, and most importantly my waist. That neckbone continues to hurt long after I take it off, too. That's why I feel my vest is a good compromise.

· Registered
2,016 Posts
Cheaper Than Dirt and Hessian Antique (among others) sells the German Flectarn G3 pouch that holds 2 .308 Cal., G3 20 round mags. Much less expensive at CTD and includes Alice Clips.

· Registered
1,909 Posts
I just got these off of Ebay.

These are part of the Safariland Spear ELCS. I was able to get the H harness and belt. then got the large and small panels to change out to different loads.
I wanted something USGI as apposed to the semi "Airsoft" type rig I have now.(pics below)

Glenn

· Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got these off of Ebay.

These are part of the Safariland Spear ELCS. I was able to get the H harness and belt. then got the large and small panels to change out to different loads.
I wanted something USGI as apposed to the semi "Airsoft" type rig I have now.(pics below)

Glenn
Love the patch DI5

· Registered
885 Posts
Sorry, but is there a war somewhere that civilians are going into combat? IMO, you don't want to wear those anywhere, before or after SHTF. Might as well have a target on your back. Save that money and buy ammo or a new stock.

After saying that, I got a couple of Kydex carriers from SKD, for 3 gun competition.

http://www.skdtac.com/Ready-Tactical-M14-FAL-Mag-Pouch-p/rdt.111.htm

These are da bomb.

· In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,869 Posts
I have 2 kits , both of with have 5.56 mag pouches, the 7.62 mags fit in there a big tight but they DO fit. You may have to work em in but they come out fine, and use a dump pouch for empties

heres my swiss arms plate carrier.

· Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry, but is there a war somewhere that civilians are going into combat? IMO, you don't want to wear those anywhere, before or after SHTF. Might as well have a target on your back. Save that money and buy ammo or a new stock.

After saying that, I got a couple of Kydex carriers from SKD, for 3 gun competition.

http://www.skdtac.com/Ready-Tactical-M14-FAL-Mag-Pouch-p/rdt.111.htm

These are da bomb.
MMMMMMMMMMMMMHM. Hypocrite! :p

Besides, my vest is JUST as effective for hunting as it is for combat... I think!
I think I'll stick to my current vest and buy two of those flecktarn pouches from CTD, which puts the overall cost at $10 :p

Don't forget I'm going to live in the mountains, and I don't own land... SHTF will be much different for me

Those are cool pouches, but I wouldn't want to use them outside of 3 gun, because it looks like it's be too hard to shove the empty mag back in. I'm not a fan of dump pouches, though for 3 gun I'd make an exception.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.