M14 Forum banner

Little help on a choice parts or shooter

765 4
I came across a Fed Ord. M14 at a local gunshow and it's H&R and has a Winchester bolt. The barrel is a SAK 1-69 and I forgot the no. for profile. The receiver looks like it was poured and kinda' rounded rubbery looking almost. I was thinking about the sum of the parts and it is marked $1050 but MT&BSW so hunnert dolla' bills usually bring the price down. Would this be a good candidate for a build or just shoot it? It appears to be shot very little by looking at the trigger group,op rod and barrel. Problem child maybe ?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
If the parts are in prime condition I'd buy it. Than send it off to Smith E. for a complete checkover and conditioning as needed. $1050's not bad. If you can get it for cheaper than that's the obvious better choice. It's the parts that I'd be mainly buying, but just because it's a Fed Ord receiver doesn't mean it's a waste of steel. Smith can handle it. What the condition of the barrel and it's wear is pretty important. If the barrel and parts are too worn I'd pass though as the money can be spent on other options of course.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Greetings,

If it is a 4 digit serial #, say below 6000 (that's a guess right now; I don't have my books here; lower the better) or so, it may well be just fine. I'm not really up on current prices, so can't say if it's a great deal or what else you could get for the same $. The earlier FedOrds made with all USGI parts were pretty OK. Check the normal wear stuff on all the major parts and see if you can get a "take it home and shoot it" with return deal. The main area that they seemed to have problems with was if you try to mount a scope it may be difficult and the cut for the OpRod channel. Otherwise all should be relatively good. Good luck!

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
You need to take a very good look at the barrel including the chamber to make certain of the wear. Not just ME & TE but any signs of heavy use inside the chamber (small pits etc.). This is the difference between having a good barrel and having to spend the $$ to replace that part.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.