M14 Forum banner

List of known "DEVINE TEX" marked rifles

33688 Views 66 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  flyboy
The following M1A rifles have the "DEVINE TEX" mark on the barrel. Please add additional rifles as you know of, pictures appreciated.

I'm not implying agreement with the position that "DEVINE TEX" is a valid Elmer Ballance barrel marking. I am trying to keep the discussion organized for those not totally up to speed on this topic. I own M1A serial number 000049 but I have no Texas marked M1A rifles. There's no financial gain or loss to me. The truth will prevail.

Serial Number/Owner/Comments

000505 - friend of Garand Doctor, 1973 purchase from Sarco, need marking confirmed
00064X - observed by BennyBenz
000689 - slag
000690 - non-member who purchased this USED in October 1973 at the San Francisco Gun Exchange.
000708 - art luppino [photos and documents enroute]
000710 - dighawaii
00074X - board member who wishes to remain anonymous
000812 - Garand Doctor - July 1973 purchase from Sarco
000825 - steve12
000850 - wdigeorge
Reactions: honer
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts

· Banned
11,516 Posts
I might add, that anyone who would like to have their info posted as anonymous can contact me either through the PM system or via e-mail to [email protected]

I will be happy to post info and pictures. Anything wished to remain in confidence will be respected. I think that some might be reluctant to come forward due to past experiences of Devine discussions.

Before any information or pics are released to anyone, you will be asked for permission.

Thanks, Hawk

· Registered
9,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
M14 fans, I have received copies of two letters signed by Mr. Elmer Ballance stating that the M1A rifle serial number 000708 with the barrel marking DEVINE TEX was assembled by him on February 10, 1973. One letter was written for the rifle's second owner and the other letter was written for the rifle's current (third) owner.

The letters were sent to me by Mr. Art Luppino of Kerrville, TX. I understand that he has the original letters as he is the current owner of M1A serial number 000708. Mr. Luppino is working on getting digital photographs taken of serial number 000708.

I have contacted several of you by e-mail so that you have opportunity to receive copies of these letters.

· Registered
61 Posts
another one

Different,

I own a Devine SN 000576 with a TRW N/M barrel, TRW bolt, TRW trigger group and an SAK oprod. Barrel stamped Rt1 Box 210 first line, Devine, TX second line. I've owned it about 4 yrs.

Regards,

· Registered
9,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, Hueydoctor. The input helps us understand the history more fully.

Regarding the requirement to identify the rifle with city and state on firearms, it has been a regulation since at least April 1997. I have not yet found an older edition of the Code of Federal Regulations. At any rate, here is the relevant wording from the 1997 edition of Title 27 CFR section 178.92:

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 27, Volume 1, Parts 1 to 199]
[Revised as of April 1, 1997]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 27CFR178.92]

[Page 925-927]

TITLE 27--ALCOHOL, TOBACCO PRODUCTS AND FIREARMS

CHAPTER I--BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO AND FIREARMS, DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY

PART 178--COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION--Table of Contents

Subpart F--Conduct of Business

Sec. 178.92 Identification of firearms, armor piercing ammunition, and large capacity ammunition feeding devices.

(a)(1) Firearms. Each licensed manufacturer or licensed importer of any firearm manufactured or imported shall legibly identify each such firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, an individual serial number not duplicating any serial number placed by the
manufacturer or importer on any other firearm, and by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof in a manner not susceptible of being
readily obliterated, altered or removed, the model, if such designation has been made; the caliber or gauge; the name (or recognized abbreviation of same) of the manufacturer and also, when applicable, of the importer; in the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) wherein the licensed manufacturer maintains its place of business; and in the case of an
imported firearm, the name of the country in which manufactured and the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) of the importer.

· Registered
53 Posts
s/n 2606

I have 2606 bought from a gun store in San Antonio a few years ago.It has the one line pantographed RT I BOX 2I0 DEVINE TEX on the barrel. The bolt bottom,trigger housing side,and magazine are also marked 2606.Barrel is CA and marked NM on top.All parts are GI and stock is bedded.Gas cyl. is also unitized.

· Registered
9,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lucky52 said:
I have 2606 bought from a gun store in San Antonio a few years ago.It has the one line pantographed RT I BOX 2I0 DEVINE TEX on the barrel. The bolt bottom,trigger housing side,and magazine are also marked 2606.Barrel is CA and marked NM on top.All parts are GI and stock is bedded.Gas cyl. is also unitized.
AFAIK, Mr. Ballance never marked parts (bolt, stock, trigger housing) with the last four numbers of the serial number. That's a practice of military armorers. Marking the magazine with the last four digits of the serial number is not a common practice AFAIK.

· Registered
556 Posts
Question

Different said:
AFAIK, Mr. Ballance never marked parts (bolt, stock, trigger housing) with the last four numbers of the serial number. That's a practice of military armorers. Marking the magazine with the last four digits of the serial number is not a common practice AFAIK.
On WB's site I read that they made about 4600 receivers. From the note's in your work on known receivers, I notice only three digit serial numbers. Is there any evidence of 4 digit receivers from Devine Texas?

Were the barrels always hand stamped in a font with serifs?

I have now seen pictures of at least two apparently machine stamped barrels with RT 1 BX 210 DEVINE TEX, no serifs.
Was this a common counterfeit?

I have started down the path and not knowing the facts is killing me!

Mr. Different, do your studies and the information on Mr. Warbird's site agree? Is there a difference of opinion?
Is Mr. Balance still available?

Sorry for the probe.GI3 I'm OCD and there is no "off" switch.

ARDog

1 - 20 of 67 Posts