M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Digging through the remnants of some of the M14 A kits from CMP I came across a couple of lipless gas cylinders. Noticed the aft section of one is beveled and the other is square. Just wondering if someone might have information on this.

lipless gas cylinders 1.jpg
Lipless gas cylinders 2.jpg

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
I had to remove one of the lipless ones from a barrel, using a wood block, mallet and a lot of swinging. When it finally came off, the outer edge of the tail was beveled from the beat down. :p

I have not seen one new from tube that looked like that.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kurt. Rgr on having a hard time getting some of these off that have been in place for 60 years.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The 2 I took out of the can myself look same as most other gi gas cylinders. Nothing noticeably different other than the lack of the boss.

Kurt, how many cans of these original type gas cylinders have you seen before? It took years for me to find an unopened can of type 1 cylinders, and it cost me too. I have not seen another since or before. Just curious as they seem very rare. Maybe not many made as spares?

Art, does the oddball measure the same as the other in length? Almost looks modified to me in some way. Or like Kurt said, just beat on.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2 I took out of the can myself look same as most other gi gas cylinders. Nothing noticeably different other than the lack of the boss.

Kurt, how many cans of these original type gas cylinders have you seen before? It took years for me to find an unopened can of type 1 cylinders, and it cost me too. I have not seen another since or before. Just curious as they seem very rare. Maybe not many made as spares?

Art, does the oddball measure the same as the other in length? Almost looks modified to me in some way. Or like Kurt said, just beat on.

The one with the beveled end and pin prick measures 3.950. The oddball as you call it is actually 3.960 of .010 longer. Photos may be misleading, neither of the ends have been beat on.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Is it possible they are from two different manufacturers? The beveled one seems to have a smoother outer surface, and the non beveled a more rough as cast/forged surface. I recall that someone had indicated the outer surface was one indication of who made it.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it possible they are from two different manufacturers? The beveled one seems to have a smoother outer surface, and the non beveled a more rough as cast/forged surface. I recall that someone had indicated the outer surface was one indication of who made it.
Could very well be along with different productions even from the same mfg. Who knows.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
M14 USGI spec has some pretty open tolerances. Not precision like what is made today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts