M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I searched this site for an answer to my questions about limiters and five round magazines and didn't find anything so I decided I would post my solution in case anyone else could benefit from it. In my state you cannot have a capacity of more than 6 (including one in the chamber) while hunting. I looked at 5 round magazines for awhile but couldn't see the sense in paying damn near the cost of a higher capacity magazine. Not to mention There are problems abound with the flush sitting magazines (or so Ive read). So I decided to block a magazine but didn't know how to make a block, after some googleing I found this site... http://www.magazineblocks.com/magento/ all they have however is 10 round limiters designed to make a 20 round into a 10. I looked at Brownells and found a 15 round checkmate magazine and found with it an elegant solution. Have the 15 round, make it 5 with a 10 round limiter and if you ever have need of that 15 round capacity the limiter is as easy to take out as it is to put in. Moral of the story for me was more often than not Brownells is the solution.
Hope this helps someone,
Joe.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I took a 20 round magazine, a 2x4 scrap and I cut a limiter out myself. After the initial cutting it took a few dry fittings. Now it only holds 5 and works great

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
So I searched this site for an answer to my questions about limiters and five round magazines and didn't find anything so I decided I would post my solution in case anyone else could benefit from it. In my state you cannot have a capacity of more than 6 (including one in the chamber) while hunting. I looked at 5 round magazines for awhile but couldn't see the sense in paying damn near the cost of a higher capacity magazine. Not to mention There are problems abound with the flush sitting magazines (or so Ive read). So I decided to block a magazine but didn't know how to make a block, after some googleing I found this site... http://www.magazineblocks.com/magento/ all they have however is 10 round limiters designed to make a 20 round into a 10. I looked at Brownells and found a 15 round checkmate magazine and found with it an elegant solution. Have the 15 round, make it 5 with a 10 round limiter and if you ever have need of that 15 round capacity the limiter is as easy to take out as it is to put in. Moral of the story for me was more often than not Brownells is the solution.
Hope this helps someone,
Joe.
If you are in CA as your avatar says, there are no center fire magazine restictions in place for hunting.

Only for shotguns. Of which you are limited to 3 rounds total in the magazine and chamber combined when in the pursuit of game animals.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Springfield armory sells a 10 round mag that's Blocked for 5 rounds, for what it's worth. I like your solution.

I like that solution also. The mag gives you enough to grab onto for releasing, but not having the unused length of a twenty rounder hindering handling. I really can't see the advantage of high cap. mags for anything other than pig hunting where you are shooting at a herd, trying to knock down as many as you see. In deer hunting, you will get off one, maybe two shots; and the deer will either be dead, or long gone. dozier

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
dozier, I use my 10 round mags for hunting and am seriously considering getting a couple of 5 roung magazines for hunting so they will not jab me in the back when I have my rifle slung on my shoulder.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I agree with Blacktail 8541

The Department of Natural Game and Fish in your State whatever the name is there....

Don't give them a reason to think your waltzing with Matilda on a high cap magazine.

If they think your packing high caps out and about they might search you up and down on that note.

Make it look as low cap as possible and or flush; get a actual 5 rounder. If you have backup 10 rnd magazines don't have them topped off at ten either. No more than 5.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I purchased a 5rd mag for my M1A for hunting and had issues getting it out with gloves on in cold weather. I then purchased a 10rd mag and drilled holes front and back and then pop riveted through the holes which blocked the follower from going past 5 rds. If I ever want to go back to a 10rd mag I just need to drill out the two rivets.
I did this with a old 20rd mag for my AR.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I haven't had any problems inserting or removing the Check Mate Industries 5-round magazine in my rifles. Using a 20-25 round mag while hunting somewhere with a 5-round limit seems like it's just asking to be stopped and hassled, and for no other reason than a cosmetic look.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I like rammacs solution.

he has the 5 rounder with a special fit Magpul Ranger plate, An elegant solution if i have ever seen.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I like rammacs solution.

he has the 5 rounder with a special fit Magpul Ranger plate, An elegant solution if i have ever seen.
No expert originally did these.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
In Texas there is no round restriction for hunting. Still, when I hunt with a 308 semiauto I use a 10 or a 5 round magazine. It makes the rifle a lot lighter and handier.

With the M1-A I put a piece of Paracord throughn the hole in the floor plate of a 5 round magazine. It extends about 2" out of the bottom of the magazine. I have a series of knots tied on the last inch or so of the paracord, making it easy to grasp and pull the magazine out.

Works great. Just make sure the paracord is not so long as to get fouled up in the trigger.

Also the Springfield 10 round magazines blocked to 5 rounds use a piece of wood in the magazine to limit capacity to 5 rounds. These mags also work great, and if you remove the block of wood they hold 10 rounds and still will work 100%.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
In "Kalifornia, The Peoples Republic of" you can use any centerfire rifle that is legal in the state for taking big game. The only restriction is that you are limited to 10 round magazines.

>10 round mags are not legal in the state unless they are pre-ban or RAW.

That is, it is legal to use my M1a with a 10 rounder to hunt deer or pig.

Shotguns used for hunting are limited to 3 rounds as Blacktail mentioned. Two in the mag and one in the pipe. If you're shotgun has a plug it has to be installed.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Methinks we need a yellow STICKY on this...

GI2

Just out of curiousity I typed in a Search for 'Ranger Plate' and it looks to me to be at least a half-dozen previous discussions, some with detailed DIY instructions!

It's definitely a recurring question!

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
46 Posts
U really want to hunt only with with 5 rds, this is what I do where I hunt,I put in 5 empty shell casings into a 10 rd mag and then put 5 live rds on top of them. Problem solved and u don't have to buy an extra mag or modify any existing ones. My grandfather Inlaw does the same with his m1garand, puts 3 shell casings and puts 5 live rds on top. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
U really want to hunt only with with 5 rds, this is what I do where I hunt,I put in 5 empty shell casings into a 10 rd mag and then put 5 live rds on top of them. Problem solved and u don't have to buy an extra mag or modify any existing ones. My grandfather Inlaw does the same with his m1garand, puts 3 shell casings and puts 5 live rds on top. Problem solved.
Does not qualify the magazine as being blocked for those of us that live in states that have a limit on capacity (for hunting).

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
In "Kalifornia, The Peoples Republic of" you can use any centerfire rifle that is legal in the state for taking big game. The only restriction is that you are limited to 10 round magazines.

This is not true. There are no magazine capacity restriction for center fire rifles while hunting in CA. There are however ban restrictions. If you did not own a standard capacity magazine before the ban, you could not use it. ( magazine over 10 rounds.)

>10 round mags are not legal in the state unless they are pre-ban or RAW.

That is, it is legal to use my M1a with a 10 rounder to hunt deer or pig.

Shotguns used for hunting are limited to 3 rounds as Blacktail mentioned. Two in the mag and one in the pipe. If you're shotgun has a plug it has to be installed.
My wording is in blue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Where I go there r never any wardens,so we never worry.plus I only carry the 5 live rds nothing more,no need to.should have to only shoot once anyways.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Where I go there r never any wardens,so we never worry.plus I only carry the 5 live rds nothing more,no need to.should have to only shoot once anyways.

I think I've heard those words before. That is until you come across one!!!! To know if that 10 rd mag is legal, you really have to look at the wording of the actual state law. Most states put a limit on the actual mag capacity, not what you decide to put in the mag. dozier

1 - 20 of 26 Posts