1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]Hello, I purchased a real nice M1 Garand and wanted some help getting info on it. It is a Springfield Armory serial number 1,704,2xx ,drawing number D-28291 28 heat lot 045a (diamond) bolt is d28287-12sa s-a3, op-rod is d35382 sa,trigger group is d28290-14-sa and all the small part (like gas plug is marked P and a small o on the other side)it all looks to be correct and sa ....the kicker is this it looks like new the stock does not look like a boyds or after market but all is the same color and not a blemish all the metal looks new (and i mean new) it has a 1907 sling on it and on one side of the buttstock SGT.T.C Moore USMC 637273 1948-1952 is engraved on it (looks nice) cleaning kit and tools in butt stock. I was told this was an old Springfield Armory complete rebuild and was given to vets a long time ago? Just wanted an experts advice. Thanks Chris
http://i59.tinypic.com/2metwjq.jpg

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Not aware of the story about rifles being givin to Vets. More than likely a rebuilt reparked rifle.
Pics would help

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
You've got some WW II parts that are later than the receiver and a post-WW II op rod, all of which would be consistent with a first-class 1950's arsenal rebuild. Send up your photos, plz. Got any DCM or CMP paperwork?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies. I will take some photos and post them. I have another Garand and its nice too but this one seams like it was redone a while back. It had a red color stuff on the metal and the stock was sticky with what looked to be the same stuff (was real hard to get off)at first thought the SGT. had shellacked the stock ,but I think it was a cosmoline or whatever the reddish color stuff was. I am sure the rifle was rebuilt, it just looks like it was done along time ago and stored. There are no import marks anywhere on it. I dont have any paperwork (i purchased it from a widower). And you are correct it is first class and tight.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Uh just a simple question was widows husband WW2 or Korea vet? And did he belong to a VFW that's now closed? or American Legion post? A lot of those rifles kinda walked on out of these posts many years ago as some closed or the old guys just kinda borrowed these rifles. VFW and American Legion got a lot of rifles from US Army on loan and they technically belong still to US Army.
If you really want to know check with CMP they still have a lot of records from the old DCM . If they pop up negative there is one other place to check and that is with US Army. There was a thread on CMP forum a while back about his also.

Here is obit for him

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=moore&GSfn=t&GSmn=c&GSpartial=1&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=17&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=124033655&df=all&

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The stock had his name and number engraved on it (looks burnt etched and professional). went to Blythes sporting goods store (she sold it to them, I bought it)always transfer through dealer. On the stock under his name and number was 1948-1952 (he was a Korean war vet and was a Deputy for the sheriffs office). Please forgive my ignorance, I am not real good with posting pics(amongst many other things). The vet story was told to me by a friend/dealer (not Blythes, he looked at it and said it was a springfield armory rebuild done in the 70s-80s and they sold Garands to vets if they wanted them through the DCM. He said it was a good one and he checked the barrel and said it was 8-9 % used..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cannot find any type of marking on the barrel (and the inside of the chamber is parkerized (not shiny bare metal).

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Rifle has been reparked if chamber face is not in the white
Pull back op rod ,look on side of barrel, manufacture info should be there. If nothing there you will need to look under rear handguard

·
Registered
532 Posts
No not necessarily. Only rifles rebuilt in the 1960's have arsenal and date electric penciled on the receiverlegs , earlier rebuilds do not
That's correct but if I remember correctly they quit rebuilding M1 during the 60's as they were considered obsolete. So no rebuilds happned during the 70's or 80's.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Correct ,1960s were the last arsenal rebuilds but rifle may have been rebuilt at anytime prior or even commercially reparked. Real hard to tell from the pics but I'm "guessing" its a commercial stock that the owner or someone has engraved

1 - 16 of 16 Posts