M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But - being a kid at heart, I've always wanted to play "cowboy" with the real thing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have looked and looked and looked for a lever-action rifle in the real "Old West" 44-40 caliber, along with a SA sixgun in the same caliber. I'd love to have one of the good old lever guns that "ya load on Sunday and shoot all week".

Haven't been able to find a lever gun in 44-40 except in a friends Winchester collection and he wouldn't sell that rifle for "love or money". :cry:

Do any of you lever fans out there know of anyone making repros in 44-40? I don't want one of those "drug-store cowboy", new fangled things in .44 mag or some such thing.

If ya do, Ah'd shore appreciate it, Partner. There's plenty of varmints, tin cans, pie plates and other nasty critters out in them thar hills that need shootin'. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

db

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Morning DuckBuck
I think we all grew up watching those westerns, the good guy riding full gallop , reins in his teeth, hat never leaving his head, workin his trusty lever action, picking off the bad guys at 200 yds.:roll:
Here are some spots where you can find some good poop on those, just beware these can cause a bad case of CC burnout.

EMF
http://www.emf-company.com/

Henry Repeating Arms
http://www.henryrepeating.com/

Navy Arms
http://www.navyarms.com/

Also if you Google, 44-40, then search within results, lever action, you will receive more info than you can believe.
Rossi, Winchester and Marlin also made these. Good luck. HTH

Good spending

Tatonka

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey There - thanks for the info, guys.

I don't mind reloading if I could get the real thing.

Thanks for the sites and the warning about cc burn-out. My VISA is singed pretty seriously already but I'd sure love to have that combo.

Need something around the house in case we get raided by Comancheros, rustlers, or other mangy varmints. :mrgreen:

db

·
Banned
237 Posts
I found a nice 32-20 WCF but that is about half of what you are looking for.

Do a search for brass and what not and you may find that relaoding the old rounds pricey with brass at $23.00 plus for 20 rounds.

I think a 44 mag, 45 LC or 45-70 in a current offering might be a little more affordable.

Karsten

·
Registered
6 Posts
DB, howdy
I,ve got a Henry 'Big Boy' in 45LC,with
probably 200 rounds through the pipe.
I love it!!!. Picked it up at Degoff's for a
little less than 6 1/2. The action otb was
slickern' deerguts on a doorknob. She
likes the 'cowboy' loads and the Fed hp's,
can't stand the Corbon hp's as they are a
tad bit longer. HTH
Chipmunk

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I've been shooting Cowboy for about 6 years now. I shoot .45 Colt, but I do all the loading for myself and my buddy who also shoots Cowboy. He shoots .44-40.

If you order straight from Starline, new unprimed .44-40 brass is $73.50 for 500 pieces. Quite a bit cheaper than $23 for 20!

I load them on a Dillon Square Deal B and have had no issues loading the .44-40. My buddy bought 500 pieces of brass 6 years ago and I am still loading on the same brass, so the cost issue goes out the window right there!

My buddy is shooting 2 Colt SAA's (a 4 3/4" and a 5 1/2") and an original standard 1973 Winchester rifle made in 1892, all in .44-40.

I shoot 2 Colt SAA's (both 4 3/4") and a Rossi model 92 carbine, all in .45 Colt. My shotgun is a Winchester 1897 takedown 12ga made in 1902.

I wanted to come up with a load for both calibers that would use the same powder charge, so that I could swap back and forth without messing with that part of it.

.44-40 load is a 200grn RNFP from Georgia Arms, 7.0 grains of Unique, Starline cases and Winchester standard LP primers.

.45 Colt load is a 250grn RNFP from Georgia Arms, 7.0 grains of Unique, Starline cases and Winchester standard LP primers.

Both these loads are standard loads for those calibers in those guns, but a little heavier than what a lot of the "gamer" Cowboy shooters use. Come to think of it, I have never seen a "gamer" use any caliber over a .38! And I ain't talkin' .38-40 either!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.