M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to reduce the weight of my SOCOM 16 for all-day stomping in the woods. I pulled the synthetic stock off and it came in at about 3 pounds on my postal scale.

Is wood heavier? Does the flip up butt pad account for much of the weight?

I was thinking about having Karsten chop a stubby stock for me and replace the flip-up with a rubber pad. Would that be the lightest option? (Is there any reason I would regret losing the flip-up butt?)

Thanks!
JR

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Stock weight

You could try a birch stock.
I'm not sure how much they weigh.
I can remember how it felt to hump the M60 around the woods.
HEAVY!!

GI2

ARMY1

EXPRT1

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Chop stock

Sir, I think your original idea sounds like a good one.

Sorry If you took my remembering humping my M60
the wrong way.
I was thinking the same thoughts back then "how can they /I make this thing lighter?"
If you don't keep a GI cleaning kit in the stock; then there is no problem there!
GI2

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hey JR,

BTDT, some info that may help ya. I always toted the M4, so no real world Ops experiance w/ the 14, but: I am heavily involved in recreational shooting my scout on long hikes, trompin thru the boonies of North GA. I used to have the sage stock on there, and DX'ed it for a fiberglass stock.

my wheight reduction program for my scout is as follows:

1. flip up buttplate: gone
2. Stripper clip guide: gone
3. sling swivels rear and front: gone

replace buttplate with rubber buttpad, install 2 uncle mikes sling studs and use a light wieght sling.

IF you must use a red-dot type sight, use the Sage Int, stripper clip guide mount and a Dr. Optic red dot..they are incredibly small and light wieght, and have been proven to hold up to sustained fire from full auto M14's in Iraq, and still retain zero.

they are crazy expensive tho..the military version is around 900$..so maybe an M68 in the factory ring (the throw lever will not fit on the "diveboard" mount) all of the above will save some wieght, enough to be noticable, but not MUCH. have you looked into the ultra-light polyethelene plates? 0.9" thick, and rated at lvl 4 and around 3lbs each as oppsed to the interceptor plate's 7.7lb ceramic atrocities.

hope that helps, and good luck. Keep yer head down!

Bravo 26

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Fiberglass is the lightest version for the M14/M1A. I stripped off the black krinkle finish of of the stock I got from dukenukem a while back and it (the stock) lost a full one poundGI8 . You could swap out the but plate for a Garand but plate and that will cut down on weight, or you can remove the flap and stay with the standard but plate, or go with the SA I but pad that comes on some of thier 'glass stocks. Also omit the cleaning kit, stick with a stock op rod spring guide. That should cut down on considerable weightGITEN
HTH

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
JR1 said:
Theo,
I was hoping for a professional lot on this forum. Too bad.

I guess I'm a "wuss" (as you put it). I should feel lucky that Uncle Sugar has put up with me and my the wusses in my outfit for the last 15 years. With Level 4 plates, commo, weapons, and EMT kit, I tote around a few pounds in my kit when I'm at work.

I'm sure you had it worse "back in the day."

When every ounce counts, I cut the tags out of my underwear. I'm sure you would add lead weights to your long gun just to prove your machismo. For the rest of us weaklings, endurance is a matter of mission success.

My question was simply: is there a lighter option for a SOCOM stock?

JR

JR1, it sounds like your in the same profession as I am....and we all know not to sweat the small stuff, if you know what I mean. As far as cutting the tags off, man I have tried that, and I still feel weighted down! HAHAHA (that was a good one by the way...)

I am a designated marksman for my area law enforcement, and I have chose to use my Springfield M-1A national match, scoped as my weapon of choice....It is HEAVY....I started with changing to lightweight stocks and so on....still never achived what I wanted....she is just a heavy bang stick......but I still love her...

Shadow and the 9th engineer has gave you about all the options I could think of also...They both are good folks to get information from as I do so on a regular basis!GI6

TomGI1

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
JR, what about the current stock do you have to have? I mean, do you have to have the cleaning kit in the buttstock? Do you have to have the sling swivels? Do you need or use the clip guide? And, if you have to use the rifle with armor and bulky 'stuff' between the buttplate and you , do you actually need the standard length of pull?
If you don't need the cleaning kit carried in the stock you can do some neat things to lose about a pound or so. First ,as stated previuosly, strip off that krinkle finish. Then shorten the stock about two inches. You can still use the rear sling swivel if you need to but you will need to customize a bit. Probably a new screw and since, IIRC, it's an oddball thread you may need to rethread the shortened old or use a new screw. and maybe re-tap the rear sling swivel. Then you can fit a nice decelerator pad to the shortened stock and still have a stock that is 1 to 1 1/2 inches shorter and more pleasant to shoot. The GI synthetic is the way to get a pretty light stock, in my opinion. You can use wood also, however.
Does that come across clearly? It makes sense to me but I typed it, so it would.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Just Curious How Much Weight Is Carried

It seems to me anyway, that even when a lighter battlerifle is issued the advantage gets taken up by the weight of other gear that has become "essential". Is there a standard in terms of how much weight including armor, rifle, gear etc that soldiers or Marines in standard combat companies are expected to carry?. Wonder how much the needs of those in the field goes back up the chain of command?.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
One other option for a light weight stock, I have been told, is a McMillan stock. They can make a pistol grip stock that is very light weight. It will probably need to be bedded. Read $$$$.

·
Registered
710 Posts
JR1,
I'm not hunting the same kind of "varmints" as you but I put my Bush rifle stock on a diet as well. Biggest improvement was just changing the flip-up buttplate with a 1/2" rubber pad as about 6 ozs. can be saved right there. Also, the GI synthetic stocks are not all the same. I have one that is 5 oz. lighter than another that is visually identical to it. Don't know if this is because of the maker or the time frame in which it was built but it is a very noticeable difference. The stock in the photo also has a bondo built up cheek-piece which somewhat diminishes the weight savings of the rubber butt pad but it really improves scope usage. HTH and thanks for your service.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, guys. Lots of great advice.

I think I'm going to try to find someone to chop the stock and put on a rubber butt pad. I don't have to carry a cleaning kit in the stock, so that's not an issue. I thought about the Sage rig, but I really don't need the extra weight. I'd like the accuracy advantage, but we have guys with bolt guns for just that reason. With armor on, I don't like the LOP of the SOCOM. When I tote the M4, I keep the stock fully retracted when shouldered, and we put extra notches in our MP5A3 stocks for just such a reason. The SOCOM would benefit greatly from a shorter LOP.

G5,
We bought Level 4 armor with plates front and back. It was a COTS (commercial off the shelf) purchase from Diamondback, but I think it was worth it. The plates are 7 lbs each, so I might have to look into the lighter ones. Nevertheless, I saw an M4 emptied into one of the plates at training, and I do like the comfort that they can take multiple shots and not fracture.

Any recommendations for someone to chop a SOCOM stock? I hear Karsten is good.

Thanks for the help.
Best regards,
JR1

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Karsten is good. I don't have his website handy. I think you will like a shorter stock with the thickness of your gear. I believe it was DukeNukem who posted about shortening a stock and using a Decelerator pad -- maybe 4-6 months ago. Will try to run it down.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shadow,

One full pound weight reduction? Incredible! My stock weighs in at 3 pounds right now as it came from SA. How about yours? Do you think 2 pounds is "doable?"

Thanks!
JR

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
http://www.imageseek.com/karsten/

This is Karsten's website address.
A search of 'shortened stock' turned up a great thread started by Triggerman. Lots of good info. Seventeen pages long.
Triggerman had Karsten remove 2 " from the synthetic stock and put on a rubber recoil pad. It's worth a try. Synthetic stocks are still pretty cheap. But they seem to be going up along with everything else M14ish.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts