M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i knew my trigger had a light pull since i bought it about a month ago.... just recently i was at the range at let go about half a mag in a full auto fashion ... it startled me at first as i wasnt expecting it.. the old timer next too me said that i bump fired .... he said that it was weird since i fired it from a bipod resring on a bench and hes only seen people do it firing from the hip with a special technique..... i have a pull given too me curtesy of the US military so i know its not an error on my part.... is there anyway too prevent this as it could be dangerous if im not intending and anticipating this ....

·
Registered
714 Posts
You have a dangerous gun, send the trigger off to be fixed.
It's dangerous because while it's fun to shoot, and you can control the fire, if there's any LE's or Feds at the range, your going to be arrested for having a machingun.
Got a license for it?
Also, you may not be able to control it as well as you think you can and it can end up spraying rounds where you don't want them.
It's an easy fix for anyone who knows how to do it.
It's probably caused by you benchresting the firing with light pressure and the bounce back is recycling another round.
Happens to all of us 1 time or another.
Garands, at 30.06, are very exciting.
Yeah...I've had triggers that got too light too...and had to go back to their gunsmiths to be re-worked.
I believe Garands and M1a's USGI Triggers need a heavier weight to remain reliable over hundeds of rounds. Yeah..I've had light "Match" triggers on both....and a light "AR" feel may not be a good idea on a more powerful re-coiling round.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Proper trigger technique is to hold the trigger completely rearward until recoil is complete.
DON'T use delicate trigger pressure to just 'touch if off' - pull the trigger and hold it.

You can measure the trigger pull with a bent coat hanger and some wrench sockets for weight -
put everything in a clean plastic bag and take to the grocery store to weigh on one of their courtesy scales.
The usual minimum is 4.5 pounds, and between 4.5 - 5 is fine.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.