M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy bought a used Remington . It was only used for demenstration. You can tell there is not much use on it , just by the rub marks .
He is having trouble with light strikes once in a while . He has cleaned it spotless.
I have put his upper on my lower - no problem
I put his lower on my upper . I had the same problem he had.
Im thinking that his hammer spring is light or that his hammer is not hitting the firing pin right . Is there a spot i should look for or that I could releave on the hammer ?
Has anyone eilse had this problem . not with just a Remington but with any AR .
Could you expain what caused it and how you fixed it . Thanks

F.K.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Get a hammer spring from Wolff Springs. There are a lot of look alike AR parts floating around that won't meet milspec. MILSPEC ammo has to be hit hard to get ignition reliability.

What kind of ammo are you running it these rifles? MILSPEC (NATO HEADSTAMP), commercial 223 or handload?

MILSPEC primers for 5.56 is the second hardest primer in the US inventory, the hardest is Cal 50 BMG ammo.

Is there any indication of reverse primer flow where it looks like the primer is attempting to enter the striker opening in bolt face?

I had light strikes with a REM 7615 and I measured the striker indent and found it to be below spec. I ordered new springs from Wolff and problem disappeared immediately.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Keep/put Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil (0W20) (5W20) in the vent holes on the bolt and it will keep the carbon soft. Also a couple drops on the striker. Cheapest place to get it is Wally World. It took me about five years to go through a quart so last time I bought a 5 qt jug.

On M1As put/keep it in gas cylinder to keep it free.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
light strikes as in bullet not going bang when rifle is shot? ar 15s make very small dents because of the design. it has a free floating fireing pin and when you cycle the bolt and the round gos into the chaimber the pin wants to keep going and in turn makes a small dent...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
light strikes as in bullet not going bang when rifle is shot? ar 15s make very small dents because of the design. it has a free floating fireing pin and when you cycle the bolt and the round gos into the chaimber the pin wants to keep going and in turn makes a small dent...
what may look like a light strike may not be...it is when you pull the trigger on a chambered round and it doesn't fire....when extracted it may or may not have a dent in the primer.....if it does, you have a light strike, or an ammo problem. If there is no dent, you have a different problem....

whenever you fire a string of rounds and stop...drop your loaded mag and then extract the unfired chambered round , that round typically should have a lightly dimpled primer....that is because the firing pin is free floating and will go forward and lightly strike the primer when the bolt closes. Not sure, but it is a reason why some people believe say that military primers are harder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.