M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with using one of these?

Thinking of using it on my scout for an up coming Russian Boar hunting trip.

Previously I have used my Aimpoint on the scout rail for hunting and plinking with great effect, but wanted something with a little magnification. OBTW, I intend to use the Leupold on my receiver rail vice scout rail.

The Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20mm Illuminated Rifle Scope has a 30mm tube so I will need to pick up some rings likely Badger.

Long time since my last post... or my last trip to the range. glad to be back.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
I use that scope with a circle dot reticle on my AR15 because of my astigmatism which makes the standard reticle seem canted. It is outstanding. As far as hunting pigs is concerned if you put the dot on the pig he's cold meat. It is a great system. I have never used the tactical version which has a more conventional reticle.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, flintsghost!

I am also considering the Leupold Mark 4 (1.5-5x20mm MR/T M2 Illum Reticle) which seems to me to be the rugged-ized tactical version. That would scratch a couple of itches for a few dollars more.

flintsghost, thanks for the feedback. Being a red dot fan, I can appreciate your affection for the circle dot. I have made many pork chops dinners happen with my Aimpoint.... hmmm

Fellas, I am hoping that someone out there can speak to the marriage of either the VX-3 or the Mark 4 1.4x20mm scopes to a scout/bush. It seems like a natural pairing for short to medium range (75-300 yd) low light work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am also considering the Leupold Mark 4 (1.5-5x20mm MR/T M2 Illum Reticle) which seems to me to be the rugged-ized tactical version. That would scratch a couple of itches for a few dollars more.
Let me know what you end up with. I just bought a Valdad/IOR 1.5-8x26. I wanted a bit more than the 5x that Leupold was offering. Just got it today and have not installed it yet.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts

flintsghost, thanks for the feedback. Being a red dot fan, I can appreciate your affection for the circle dot. I have made many pork chops dinners happen with my Aimpoint.... hmmm

Fellas, I am hoping that someone out there can speak to the marriage of either the VX-3 or the Mark 4 1.4x20mm scopes to a scout/bush. It seems like a natural pairing for short to medium range (75-300 yd) low light work.
Just for additional info. Last night I tried putting the VX 3 European 1.5-5x20 with illuminated circle dot on one of my M1A's using a standard Bassett low mount with cant and Mark 4 medium rings. Won't fit. The eyepiece on the newer VX3 illuminated is enough larger that it won't clear the standard aperture on an M1A, even after some modification attempts. I tried Bassetts low picatinny rail mount that he gave my son for his last afghanistan tour and it worked with plenty of clearance. I have to return it to his deployment gear but Bill will be sending me another shortly. I tried that combo because I ordered another of those scopes to use on my newest M1A acquisition. With the older Mark 4's I never had any problem with the combination but the new eyepieces are much larger diameter on 30mm scopes and especially on the illuminated models which you are considering. Keep that in mind. I didn't realize it till I tried the mounting and I had one of those scopes on my M4 but never noticed the larger diameter of the eyepiece till last night.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very kewl, 4track! I had not seen that one before. I do not think that I am going to skimp on this purchase. I think a call to the custom shop may be in order this time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
1.5 -5 vxIII

I have two vxIII 30mm 1.5-5. They started at as illuminatd circle dot scopes, I sent them to Leupy and had them install the spr reticle and M1 turrets (yes m1!)

The spr reticle is outstanding, we use for everything from night shooting to 200 yards to 1000 yard plinking. I have one on my 20" HBAR ar15 and it is a tackdriver to 800 plus yards. I mounted one on my m21 for a while and I did have to take off the rear sight to get it to fit right. To me that is not a problem because the scope is solid and I see no need for back up sights. currently the second scope resides on a 308 sps tactcal with 16' barrel.We use this rig for subsonic loads to 500 yards. You need a ton of moa to get to that range with 180 subsonics and this optic has it(130 moa I believe).The reason I would say go with M1 turrets is you get a lot more moa adj as compared to the m2(m2 only has one revolution due to the zerostop design) The m2 does have a zero stop which is pretty important but if you are crafty you can make one for the M1 turrets( I did and can send pics if you like.) The only downfall is batterie life is a little short . Carry extras if you are going hunting!!!!

***** One mod You might consider is installing a target turret with a screw on cap to thewindage turret to protect it from flying brass and adding the M1 to the elevation knob. That would seem to be a slick m1a setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts