M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Robert,

I've never seen Ultra's available to the public, or maybe I missed something on Leupold's Tactical website. Is there a pipeline you can hook me up on to get one?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Look guys, I understand what you're saying. But none of you have contributed anything to the original question either. Neither did Minute mans' reference to calling Leupold and giving the number, which anyone can look up who has a computer. I have called Leupold many times for services. If you needed the number from Minuteman, I'm happy for you. But the whole point of this board is to pose questions to One Another. If everybody here looked up things before they asked, there would be no discussion. So why even have a board on the M14. The response I recieved from the member with the 16X Ultra was the response I was looking for---which was based off Experience. Not from books, or information from a catalog. He was a newbie as well, but to my eyes, he is head and shoulders above any phone call or website. And therefore, because he actually has something to say, he may be listed as a newbie, but he is a veteran in my mind, with knowledge, and all of you barring anyone with experience, need to keep quiet on other folks threads until you have practical knowledge to share. That's where I'm coming from even if makes me sound like a complete A-hole. I don't speak here unless I have experience, not opinion, which lies somewhere between knowledge and ignorance. When I'm wrong about something I accept it. But I'll be wrong and be better for it with better information which none of you have supplied.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
He was trying to help you and you shot him down. Makes sense to me to just call and ask somebody who is paid to answer the question you had than to ask here and wait a day for a response. You would have gotten the same answer either way. And if you called, the next time somebody asked the forum, you could contribute by using what you gained from the phone call to answer it for them as well.

"Hey, thanks for the thought but I'm looking for an answer here not through the phone" Would have been a tad less condescending and avoided this whole situation.

·
Registered
10,395 Posts
I just love it when an a person causes resentment and anger and thinks that he has the right to be even nastier and act the hurt party when others point out his rudeness. DI5

Oh, and just so my post isn't considered off topic, if you are referring to the original Leupold Ultra scope for the M24 sniper rifle, then I can tell you that I found a lot of information about on the Internet and learned a lot. Thanks. DI5

Reactions: CAVman

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, you’re right RAMMAC, the M24 is an interesting rifle. There's a big fan base of former soldiers who want one now as civilians. I contacted Remington on ordering one and the gent said the paperwork on the handling policy in regards to who gets one has not come through yet. But the order will be military, police then civilians. even though the rifle has been decommissioned for the M110. However, some distributors have them in stock already for $3600.00, to sell to civilians, but in 308. I'm wanting the 300 win mag. There is one listed on gun broker for $4800.00, minus the scope. So coughing up that kind of cash means beans and rice diet for a couple months. The ultra with etched glass would be a cool complement, and way more rugged. Oh well, one can only dream.

·
Registered
10,395 Posts
I guess I was too subtle for my own good. DI5

·
Registered
914 Posts
Smile! Esp. if you're in my TMR reticle!

FYI, all modern Leupold reticles are now etched glass. This allows them to put literally any reticle graphic they choose onto the optic. As well, they have no mass as compared to a wire reticle, which means they cannot be loosened by a jarring impact. I have several times found scopes with missing reticle wires; they simply fell down when their owner dropped the rifle up in some Alaskan mountain range. Tough luck!!

You will note, for instance, on the TMR, Tactical Milling Reticle (as I have on my Mk 4 6.5-20 ERT (extended range, with First Focal Plane reticle) that there is essentially a hole in the stadia intersection point for the horizontal & vertical stadia wires. This enables you to "see" your target without that cross point "subtending" [covering up] some of what you want to see. At v. long ranges, you can still see the Ork's head if that's your intended target. Or an antelope if that's your game.

This sort of design advantage is only possible with a etched reticle. It's hard to leave "a hole" in two intersecting wires, huh?

The Front Focal Plane position of the reticle bearing lens means that the reticle size goes up and down as you adjust the scope's magnification. That means your Mil-Dot measurements stay the same no matter what magnification you set your scope at. Otherwise, you would be limited to always using the Mil-Dot technology at the scope's highest setting. Not necessarily too tough to deal with, but still ,the FFP technology is excellent, esp. in a tactical situation.

For even better Tactical use, the illuminated reticle is a bit of extra good topping on an otherwise already delicious cake! It means you can see that reticle in the fading twilight, or under dark, shadowy situations. Very useful. However, they are not necessarily legal in many states (I know they are not allowed to be illuminated in Alaska or WA St. for instance) , but it is legal to use the same scope for hunting if you remove the batteries. A Wildlife Officer will be thusly satisfied if the batts are out of it).

The Mk4s are extremely well designed, engineered, assembled and tested. They are, in a word, RUGGED SoBs! And it's definitely not legal to ship one out of this country without a permission slip from your Federal Government! Not even up into Canada!

Pricing? Not cheap, though they do give me very good prices on limited quantities. Call if you're interested. Just a passing bit of info, mods.

Hope this was helpful! GI2

Reactions: BlackArrow

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MesaRifle, thanks for the Word I was wondering where that first focal plane fit into the scenario. I guess I'll just scratch the Ultra and get a Mark 4 FFP. Don't see many illuminated ones though.

·
Registered
963 Posts
JMoore, courtesy of MinuteMan, 1-800-LEUPOLD (538-7653) Give’em a call and get back with me. Judging from your groups, you need warranty work.
I don't need to call 'em , I already know the answer for my exact model of scope- yours MAY be different...

Besides, the only warranty work needed is on the trigger puller, as you note above. I'm not an internet "sniper". Nor a benchrest hero.

More of a belly flop guy.

400yd

500yd

Same scope, but on a rifle that shoots. ( Which isn't worthy of much discussion- it just does its thing and so rarely gets photoed. I like the problem rifles, they're more interesting- until they get sorted...)

You weren't nice to Minuteman1774, so I'm not being nice now, sorry. Further unpleasantness will be ignored...

Thanks for taking the time to read my posts, though! I don't reckon many people can take too much of it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I paid 900 for mine. It's pretty much like new. I'm comparing the price to S&B or Hendsoldt. But for my purposes I don't need all those bells and whistles so I went with the Ultra. I did recently get a USO 10x that has some nice features and would consider it better than the Ultra and it was the same price. There are a lot of options compared to twenty years ago, it's a good time to be high power rifleman!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.