M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the Springfield forward mount on my Scout with an Ultimak rail/handguard.

I had been using Leupold QRW rings because it was my understanding that the SAI forward mount is not a true 1913 Picatinny rail and rings for a Weaver rail would work better with the SAI mount.

The Ultimak forward mount provides a true Picatinny rail. Do I need to get Picatinny-specific rings, or will I be OK with the QRWs provided one is pushed forward & the other one back?

I like the quick-release a lot since this is my SHTF rifle.

BTW the Ultimak mount with the low QRW rings gets my Leupold FX-II 2.5x28mm IER scout scope as low as it could possibly get. GI6

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Here's what you want to watch out for:

That's a Burris Weaver ring on a Picatinny mount. It's not just the slots, it's also the width of the rail. In order for your rings to sit square and stay put they need to match the base...

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for that photo! And especially for the lightning quick response.

The Leupold QRW rings do NOT have that problem on the Ultimak rail. The contact surfaces appear to be flush. The geometry of the moveable part of the ring bases is different from that Burris example.

Of course the only test that counts is whether or not the scope holds zero, right?

·
Registered
82 Posts
QRW and Bassett

I tried the QRW leupold rings and a Basset low profile picatinny mount and got the same results as the picture. Surfaces would not mate properly.

Went with the PRW rings and perfect alignment. Don't know why the difference, but it works.

Just wish they made a low ring in 30mm. Had to go with a medium for a Leupold 40mm objective Mk4 LR/T 4.5x14.
Low rings would work fine...not that the mediums are bad. Now I need a cheek pad for proper sight alignment.

·
Registered
9,820 Posts
I have a SOCOM 16 with the Ultimak and QRW rings and, at least in my case, I can see that the fit isn't 100% correct. I've always felt that this didn't present a problem until recently. I've been working on developing a good load for this setup and I've had some really good results. Consistent 1" or so groups, but then, for no apparent reason, my groups would open up to a couple of inches. Nothing was different as far as I was concerned but then I ran across this thread and I remembered the Weaver vs. Picatinny fit issue. So checked out how things look.

Hear is the proper kind of fit on my other rifle with a Sadlak mount and TRW rings. Notice that all the matting surfaces are square and parallel.

Now my Ultimak/ QRW combo, notice the slight angular relationship between the clamp and the base of the ring. Also the apexes don't line up.

Another shot from a little further away

Now I'm thinking that just maybe I'm getting a little shifting between the parts. I'm going to change mine out and then try my loads again and see if my mysterious group expansion goes away.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
RAMMAC - you're right, that doesn't look as good as it should. I'll have to take a closer look at the ring/rail junction myself.

Thanks!

EDIT: My QRW rings fit a lot better than RAMMAC's but still not as nice as I'd like. The angles look ok but there just isn't as much bearing surface as I'd like on the side where the levers/clamps are. Can't find any other low, quick release Picatinny rings though...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry to bring back a thread from the dead but I think this one is most relevant (and easy to read) for my question...

I've got an Ultimak mounted on my Springfield standard and I was lucky enough to find a deal on a Leupold variable scout scope, now I'm looking for a good mount.

I take it that a set of QRWs are not a good choice at this time (I'm referring to Leupold QRWs) so would it be safe to assume that a set of Leupold PRW ring mounts would be a safe choice until a decent set of QRW rings comes out?

Thanks in advance.
-Marcus

1 - 7 of 7 Posts