M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have studied these to death, but haven't held or looked through either.

I am pretty much set on a Leupold MK4 MRT 2.5-8 or the LRT 3.5-10. I plan on going with the M2 turrets either way, and probably going with the illuminated reticule.

Anyone have any opinions of which is best to go with? I am 25, with decent eyesight, so the 8x vs 10x doesn't seem like a great difference to me now. Also, I am in Ga, I don't see the opportunity presenting itself for me to shoot out past 800-1000 yards in a real life situation. The adjustable parallax seems to be the main difference, but I have hardly done any shooting with a scoped rifle, so I am not sure how much this would bother/please me.

I still have a special place in my heart for the 2.5-10 IOR Valdada, but I am thinking the service here in America for the Leupold is a major factor that has to be considered.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The adjustable parallax shouldn't be a big issue unless you're shooting very close (I'm assuming the parallax is essentially set for infinity). On bigger scopes, the parallax is used to sharpen the image as you change magnification.

Both scopes are good. Given the option, I'd go with the MRT. It's a bit cheaper (though not by much), but a bit smaller and lighter (16oz versus 21oz, 11.3in versus 13.5in). The LR/T does have slightly better eye relief at 3.4" (compared with 3.0).

Personally, I'd go with the MR/T...but either scope will serve you well.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
If you buy the IOR from Liberty Optics service in the US is usually a moot point. Scott takes care of his customers.

Is the rifle/scope for hunting or just plinking/target shooting?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike, I am kinda leaning toward the MRT because of size and weight.

NoExpert, I do plan to buy from Scott, we have been talking a bit. I do plan to hunt with it, will probably practice on some targets, but I am not a bench rest shooter or anything of that nature. I enjoy my iron sights, but I would like to see the rifles potential when I take my eyesight out of the equation.

I have 2 M1A's and planned on keeping one setup on irons and the other with a scope. My rifle with the match stock would be my iron sights rifle and the rifle with the thinner GI stock would be the scoped rifle. I think that is what I want to do.

Or worst case, I get a one brand now and the other in another year or so.FRG1

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Scopes that don't have parallax adjustments are usually parallax free at 100 yards.

"If" it were me in your shoes I'd go with the IOR 2.5-10X42 FFP Illuminated MP-8 MIL knob scope. I know it's a little more coin, little more length, little more weight... but what you get out of it is worth it.

The glass on IOR's is outstanding just to start. That particular scope is FFP so the reticle and image increase the same with magnification so ranging can be done at any magnification setting easily. The larger objective will bring in more light for extended usable hunting time. The MIL-MIL matched knobs and reticle make adjustments quick and intuitive. A few friends have IOR's and have nothing but good to say about them.

On the flip side I know how nice it is to have the service in the same country... I'm lucky enough to have the service for my scope 40 minutes away. I also know top manufacturers make mistakes too so a warranty is something to consider. Personally this wouldn't dissuade me from the IOR though if buying from Scott.

·
Registered
48 Posts
To put another point in favor of the IOR...

They do try to do basic service work in country. If it's something that they can fix here, they will. It's only if there's serious issue that they'll have to send it back to Romania.

Scott from LO does have an outstanding reputation. I wouldn't hesitate buying from him at all.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My next hesitation that would hold me back from the IOR is the Mil knobs. I 100% understand and can do MOA adjustments in my head and would like to stay consistent in my quick math skills if I ever had to take the scope off for whatever reason and go over to iron sights.

Other than that, the IOR is/was the scope I longed for. I got married and have a little money now and its no longer fantasy land, its decision time.

My buddy has the Y-Tac reticle and absolutely loves it. Anyone have experience with the Y-Tac?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
MILs aren't that bad. .1 MIL = .36" so .3 MIL = about 1 inch. What's annoying is having MOA knobs and a MIL reticle. That can make you take up swearing and drinking real quick.

Get what suits you best though, you're the one who has to look through it and use it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If the running is absolutely between IOR and Leupold, Id opt IOR. I dont own one, but have handled and fired a rifle with one mounted on it, superior glass, comparatively. I do own a Leupold 6.5-20x50mm LR/T M1 and not overtly impressed with it. Color contrast and resolution not all that great, clicks in the turrets not very distinct, plus, with all the Chinese clones out there....Caveat Emptor...!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the additional feedback guys. I am certain it is between the Leupold and the IOR. I am supposed to borrow a friends IOR this Monday to look through for a couple days in different lighting conditions. I don't know of anyone with a Leupold, but I will at least stop by a shop and look through the scopes they have on hand.

As for the MOA knobs, mil reticule, I was thinking in my head, 1 mil is just over 3 MOA. I think I can get used to that. Am I way off, or if I can live with being that close, then I am good to go. Next, the SFP vs FFP. I believe the MOA knobs will mean that I have a SFP reticule, that is what I think I would like. Never really used/owned scopes. Is that primarily preference or is one superior to the other for x reason.

I am pretty sure I will go with the MP-8, but will consider the MP-8 dot reticule.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
1 MIL = 3.6 MOA

The knobs/reticle have nothing to do with FFP/SFP. I've seen SFP MIL-MIL scopes and FFP MIL-MOA scopes. Just depends on the manufacturer. As for desirable/better than the other... depends on the use. I like FFP since you can range at any magnification easily but that's me.

I recommend hash over dots all day long. Much more precise especially for hold overs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I am going to make the purchase this week. I think I have to settle on the Leupold MK4 MRT 2.5-8. The size just seems perfect more my tastes.

I just have a mental block about the extra 1.5"+ and extra couple ounces. I am sure it is negligible, but I just think the size of the MRT is exactly what I want.

Hopefully I will have a little money saved up in a year and I will get to add the IOR or possibly the LRT to the collection. This will be my first scope, so I am excited about learning a lot with it.

Thanks for your input. I will be putting it on a Bassett low picatinny mount. Now for the rings.... Warne?? open to ideas. I have some of the search results and it looks like I have several good options.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Warne at the least. TPS, IOR/Valdada, Badger Ordnance, Seekins Precision or Leupold Mk4's (may not be a good fit for the Bassett mount) are good quality rings. I've tried them all and am now using TPS aluminum rings, lighter weight and rock solid, just keep an eye on the cross bolts... they can rotate when initially torquing. I also HIGHLY recommend lapping any rings you get.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, my Leupold PRW rings came in and I tried to put them on my new Bassett Low Picatinny rail. From everything I have read and heard, you should get weaver style rings for Bassett's picatinny rail.

I went to put them on, and they don't look like the quite line up right. It appears the angle and dimensions of the rings don't match the mount. I was not set on the PRW's, that is what I was advised to buy, by the dealer. Anyone else had trouble with these? I will take pics when I get home, but it just doesn't look right, this is my first time dealing with rings and mounts, so maybe user error. I haven't tried tightening them down, but just sitting on the mount, it seems like it won't be level after I tighten everything down.

Just wanted to get any feedback before I get home.

G

·
My next scope will probably be a IOR also. Leupold will never see my money again, poor quality and lousy customer service.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
My LRT has given me nothing but stellar service. Ive got the TMR reticles in it and it is outstanding. 1 MOA adjustments, 1/2 windage. Robust, reliable and clear. Cant go wrong. This particular one fell off the back of a certain truck and was going to be de exed after being blasted by some HE during a daily drive. Sent it back to leupold and they fixed er' up nice for me.

DS K.

So I have studied these to death, but haven't held or looked through either.

I am pretty much set on a Leupold MK4 MRT 2.5-8 or the LRT 3.5-10. I plan on going with the M2 turrets either way, and probably going with the illuminated reticule.

Anyone have any opinions of which is best to go with? I am 25, with decent eyesight, so the 8x vs 10x doesn't seem like a great difference to me now. Also, I am in Ga, I don't see the opportunity presenting itself for me to shoot out past 800-1000 yards in a real life situation. The adjustable parallax seems to be the main difference, but I have hardly done any shooting with a scoped rifle, so I am not sure how much this would bother/please me.

I still have a special place in my heart for the 2.5-10 IOR Valdada, but I am thinking the service here in America for the Leupold is a major factor that has to be considered.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, don't think I was clear. I have concluded that the MK4 is what I want. It is in the mail. However, I received my rings before hand and went ahead and put them on the bassett mount, without tightening them down, but they just didn't look like I was working with apples to apples. From what I understand weaver mount should work on Bassett's mounts, but I am scratching my head.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So, my Leupold PRW rings came in and I tried to put them on my new Bassett Low Picatinny rail. From everything I have read and heard, you should get weaver style rings for Bassett's picatinny rail.

I went to put them on, and they don't look like the quite line up right. It appears the angle and dimensions of the rings don't match the mount. I was not set on the PRW's, that is what I was advised to buy, by the dealer. Anyone else had trouble with these? I will take pics when I get home, but it just doesn't look right, this is my first time dealing with rings and mounts, so maybe user error. I haven't tried tightening them down, but just sitting on the mount, it seems like it won't be level after I tighten everything down.

Just wanted to get any feedback before I get home.
I tried my 34mm Badgers with the Bassett mount. NO go. Not enough clearance under the left side of the rail. Made the rings sit lopsided. I ended up selling the Bassett for a Sadlak. If you want to stay with the Bassett (its a good mount) you will probably have to try another set of rings.
NOTE: I do recall reading where someone turned their Leupold rings around and they fit that way.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
follow up

So, here are the pictures:

My main concern is the tab on the left that will tighten in and create the grip, looks like it already has a can't before any pressure is applied, not to mention the rings. I have not tightened the screws down to spec, I don't think it looks right and am afraid I will cause some kind of bending of either screws or metal tab. Money wasn't a big deal for the rings, I wanted to stay around 100, but I was told these were great and were only 50. I would still like to stay around 100. I would really like to get something that I know will work.

I have tried flipping these every which way possible. Any advice or thoughts are much appreciated. Again, this is my first time putting rings on a mount, so maybe this is all part of the process.

·
Registered
424 Posts
No sense paying all that money for a Mark 4 and having bad rings. I use Badger Ordnance or ARMS only. They clap on tighter than ticks. For the fifty bucks you'd save by going cheaper, you'd burn up on the range with the high price of ammo and still not hit Xs. Have you considered the problem could be your mount? I know many here rave about the simplicity, reliability, and low cost of a Bassett, and I'm sure all of it's true--but for how many rounds, and how hard of use in the field? Can you shoot 900 rounds and never touch it or re-tighten? Safe queens, deer hunts and the occasional trip to the range don't qualify as "hard use." If this is your SHTF rifle---the kind of rifles already used by Marines and Soldiers today, don't you think they would adopt the Bassett mount if it saved the DOD money and worked better in the field (not on a clinical range) than the three point contact mounts? If you have a very expensive rifle, and a very expensive scope, why would you buy a cheaper medium to unite the two? Of course if you plan to take it on and off all the time, the Bassett is the way to go. Like that Lt. at the AMU who fired five shots using a Bassett with scope, then put it on a different rifle to test its accuracy. When he has 160 rifles to test twice a year, it just dosn't make sense to have permenent scope mount. Personally, I don't have 160 rifles, I have two rifles and I want my scope cemented on the rifle. Because if I have to pick it up for a "situation", sure as hell, Murphy's law is going to take effect and something’s going to go wrong. But if I did not compromise at all, I have a better chance against the man who does.

If you stay with the Bassett, I'd be interested to know how it holds up at shooting schools, not Camp Perry where you get a few minutes between shots, but a dirty, grimy hot place where you fire hundreds of rounds with accuracy all day long, day after day after day. Because brother, if the SHTF and you're near a City, that's what you're going to be doing. SOAPBOX1

1 - 20 of 27 Posts