M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a high end Leupold and I've ended up w/ this:

NIB Vari-X-III Illum. 4.5-14X50 (54760) for $610 vs.
Like New Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40 Illum. duplex (536660 for about $620.00

What would be your choice and why???

The scope will be mounted on an M1A for long range plinking.

Your scope expertise are greatly appreciated.
:D

·
Registered
117 Posts
My choice would be the 3.5x10 simply based on the 40mm objective. The 50 mm scopes just sit to high up on any rifle. Both are good scopes as I have owned the 40mm versions. I like the 4.5-14 better but with the 40mm objective. Despite the advertising a 50mm will not help in low light as much as they claim. Most people cannot tell the difference.

Here is the scope I am currently evaluating (Leupold # 56140) I really this scope :!: The main complaint I have with all the other Mark 4 scopes is the fact that the turrents do not have cover caps. This is not a big factor for range queen rifles, but I have often wondered why the true military Mark 4's have covers. :wink: Most of use don't spend all day adjusting our scopes on the range. We may play with the windage a bit but for the most part we zero and shoot. Having coveres for the turrents sure helps once we are zeroed are are moving the rifle around. The other Mark 4 features are there, and it has a bit more magnification on the top end. I have found that the extra magnification is "just right " for me.

So there are my Saturday morning QB comments.

40mm obj. to keep the scope closer to the bore line
Turrent covers
Mark 4 features
New matched lens system

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.