M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Leupold Mark 4 M1 that has given me accuracy issues for years. I first mounted it on a SA M1A and compared groupings to a Swarovski 3x12 (30mm) first focus plane steel scope. The Swarovski was more consistent and provided tighter groups. I could keep 5x5 shots inside a 3" shoot-n-c at 200 yds. Not so with Leupold.. I compared the Mark 4 to a Schmidt Bender and got similar results. Mind you that the SB and SW reticles are BOLD and thick! Of course I returned the Leupold to MFG again and again. Finally a Leopold tech discovered weak internal springs, and I guess that he felt so badly for my inconvenience that he sent me a new scope. Good deal? Not so fast...

I waited until my finance were where I needed them to be to finally purchase a RR X-1 and wanted to mount the new Mark 4 on it. Weird sh--- groupings again. I sent the Mark 4 back to Leopold. They could not find anything wrong with scope.

I currently have a Schmidt Bender bold reticle scope on the RR that almost covers up a 3" shoot-n-c target at 200 yards, but I get MOA groupings. The Mark 4, even though it has much thinner reticle, the consistent groupings are almost 2 MOA. I dial out any parallax. I use Warne QD rings on most all of my rifles.

I had cataract surgery last year, and I now see great at distances compared to 3 years ago. So, my vision is not the issue.

In addition, the Mark 4 is not quiet as clear as the SB or SW. Leopold has examine my Mark 4 scope to also determine that it is not a counterfeit.

Has anyone on the forum experience issues with Mark 4s?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I use Warne QD rings on most all of my rifles.
I have had some Warne QD rings that had bases that were slightly too wide, so that they wouldn't actually snug up on the rail. You could tighten the lever very tight, but the body of the bases got in the way. You might try swapping rings, or try some other rings. I've had some that worked absolutely fine, but I've also had a few that were definitely hosed one way or another, so I would at least suggest looking at the possibility. Warne warranty and customer service is excellent. If you determine it is the rings, they'll get you a replacement in a jiffy.

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
You should contact Leupold's repair department. One of my customers had an issue with accuracy in a new match grade M14 I built and it turned out the cause was the Mark 4 scope they were using. Once repaired the rifle shot nickel sized groups at 100 yards.

·
Premium Member
17,308 Posts
I have, at least , a half dozen MK 4 s on rifle that I have been using for years and never saw anything like that. Have to admit that now I am using Night Force ATACR scopes it is a different world all together.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I have, at least , a half dozen MK 4 s on rifle that I have been using for years and never saw anything like that. Have to admit that now I am using Night Force ATACR scopes it is a different world all together.
What differences do you notice in the other world? I don't think that I am going to step into that price range, but a year ago I didn't think I would get into anything in the NX8 range either, and once the foot gets across that threshold, who knows? Your suggestion on the Leupold VXR Patrol 1.25-4x seemed to land ok.🤗

·
Premium Member
17,308 Posts
What differences do you notice in the other world? I don't think that I am going to step into that price range, but a year ago I didn't think I would get into anything in the NX8 range either, and once the foot gets across that threshold, who knows? Your suggestion on the Leupold VXR Patrol 1.25-4x seemed to land ok.🤗
The higher power NF just sets the bar somewhat higher than equal power MK 4. Light handling is one step above.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx to all,

I have an older Leupold LPS that I am going to try and compare. In addition, I cannot budge the QD rings on the existing rail. They seem very tight! It is difficult to do, but I have lapped all of my QD rings to specific rails.

·
"Death From Above"
11,529 Posts
Have two MK4 ERT scopes and never had a problem. I did the same and started using Steiner scopes. Has to be something wrong with the scope don’t give up

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
You should contact Leupold's repair department.
Yes, they have a lifetime warranty and their "Warranty Inspection" program is free except the shipping fee to send it to them. If there is an issue with tracking or the lens they will address it. I have a bunch of their scopes including a few 1989/1990 dated tactical/military fixed 10x scopes that needed turret tune-ups, and one needed a new reticle/ocular lens, but when they come back they work perfectly and glass looks new. Call them and they will take care of their products:

Fwiw, the US military has been using all kinds of Mk 4 scopes for over 30 years, so that's a pretty impressive track record given how tough the customer is about performance & durability:

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Just out of curiosity, did you check for any high spots inside your rings??? -Lloyd 🍻

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
From what I read in his post , he has already sent the scope back mutable times

" Of course I returned the Leupold to MFG again and again. Finally a Leopold tech discovered weak internal springs, and I guess that he felt so badly for my inconvenience that he sent me a new scope. Good deal? Not so fast.."

Its why I suggested installing the Scope on another Rifle , that would tell you if its the Scope , which could come down to be the type of Reticle & how it effects ones shooting .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts