M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to buy a set of gauges, but am a little confused about which ones to buy. Alot of people seem to like the Clymer gauges, they say they are more reliable for accurate readings. My problem is, should I buy .308 or 7.62x51 gauges. I have a poly and a LRB barreled action on the way and would like to be able to check these out. Does anybody here have gauges, and what is your preference. I see the CMP sells Clymer gauges, but they don't sell a field reject. Is there one? Any help and first hand knowledge would be very helpful, Thanks.

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Howdy Redbone,

Here's my opinion from 20 years of rebarreling experience.
I have used Foster and Clymer gauges and never had problems with either.

Both Foster and Clymer are made to SAAMI specs.
Just make sure you use go-no go-field gauges made by the same company.NEVER MIX THEM.

7.62x51 gauges are not available from either according to their list.

I can sell ya Foster gauges at $20.00 each or if ya want Clymer,ya can get them from Brownells at $30.00 each.

HTH-warbird out

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Redbone:

I can't add to Warbird other than to say that I have Forster gauges and they seem to work really well for me.

I have the 1.630 (GO), 1.631, 1.632, 1.633, 1.634 (NO GO) and the 1.638 (FIELD) gauges. This is the setup for .308 . You only need the three main gauges.

The NEVER MIX the gauges (brand wise) is really sound advice...

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Do the Clymer and the Forster require the bolt to be be taken apart? I read where the military gauge an be used with the bolt as is, in the rifle. Is any of this right?

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
I have the following Forster gauges: 1.632", 1.633", 1.634", 1.635", 1.636" and 1.638". This way I don't get confused on who's NO GO reading means what. :lol: I stick with the actual head space dimension.
My personal preference is 1.633". That way I can shoot .308 or 7.62x51 mm. I did some experimenting with several bolts and found out that less than 1.633" Otto can fail to extract in automatic. So, Otto is head spaced to 1.6335" with a Winchester bolt. 8)

The Forster gauges do require you to disassemble the bolt to use them.

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Here's something I didn't include above.
Military headspace gauges are .004 longer then commercial gauges.That's because of the difference in ammo (308 verses 7.62x51)

As far as not being able to use Foster or Clymer gauges on assembled bolts is not true.I do it all the time.I have to say this though.If you are headspacing a bolt to a barrel for the first time it is "BETTER" to disassemble the bolt.This makes the job easier when building a M14-M1A.

Also keep in mind that Foster and Clymer don't know what rifles you're using those gauges in.So they make it a "RULE" in general to disassemble the bolt first because some commercial rifles will not accept the gauge with a bolt assembled.

If you are checking headspace on a bolt and barrel (M14-M1A) to see where headspace is at,you don't have to disassemble the bolt.There is a certain way to check headspace on your M1A with a complete bolt without damaging the headspace gauge or chamber.

DON'T PUT GAUGE IN CHAMBER AND THEN CLOSE THE BOLT. :( (on complete bolt).

I have 20 years experince in barrel work both on commercial and military rifles.If enough guys are interested in knowing how to check headspace I'll post it.I believe it should be a sticky in the Armory though.I understand that it's hard to find a gunsmith who knows how to work on M1A's and M1's.

HTH
warbird out

·
Registered
1 Posts
warbird said:
I have 20 years experince in barrel work both on commercial and military rifles.If enough guys are interested in knowing how to check headspace I'll post it.I believe it should be a sticky in the Armory though.I understand that it's hard to find a gunsmith who knows how to work on M1A's and M1's.

HTH
warbird out
bump. +1

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Evenin Warbird

Took a while to find it, many moons ago I had emailed Clymer about 7.62 guages, they are available.

Lee - The 7.62 NATO is as standard stock Caliber. These Gauges cost $30.00 (U.S.) each plus shipping. Please let us know if you would like to place an order or if we can be of further assistance. - Ken -
Hope this help ya.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.