M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start with some background...

The Kimber CDP Pro II that I bought 2 days after Obama was elected turned out to be a poor choice of 1911s. It was available. As we were wrapping up the sale, the gun salesman starts telling me "Now you just have to get yourself some Wilson 47-D magazines and call Wolff Springs to get the right recoil spring..." I should've stopped the deal right there!

[detailed bitching deleted]

I still hated the Kimber even after fixing it myself so I sold it over a month ago.

There's no .45 ACP 1911 in my house. It's empty... missing something... just wrong!

So I've found a Les Baer Custom Carry with no front cocking serrations and a single-side safety at a great price (relatively speaking).

Somebody please tell me why this shouldn't be my Christmas present to myself! I swear that I'll sell two other guns to cover the cost... promise!!!

Seriously, is there another 1911 for around $1,700 that's a better value? I know that I could get a Springfield Range Officer for less than half that cost, but I also know that I'd always be thinking about upgrading parts, night sights, and wishing that it were just, well, better made. Made in the USA doesn't hurt either.

The purposes are 1) casual target shooting, and 2) defense of castle. I doubt I'll carry a full-sized 1911 much.

Also, I really am serious about selling those two other guns. Is GunBroker the best place to sell a nice 1960s Browning Sweet 16 shotgun? How about an almost-new H&K P2000sk in 357 Sig?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Let me start with some background...

The Kimber CDP Pro II that I bought 2 days after Obama was elected turned out to be a poor choice of 1911s. It was available. As we were wrapping up the sale, the gun salesman starts telling me "Now you just have to get yourself some Wilson 47-D magazines and call Wolff Springs to get the right recoil spring..." I should've stopped the deal right there!

[detailed bitching deleted]

I still hated the Kimber even after fixing it myself so I sold it over a month ago.

There's no .45 ACP 1911 in my house. It's empty... missing something... just wrong!

So I've found a Les Baer Custom Carry with no front cocking serrations and a single-side safety at a great price (relatively speaking).

Somebody please tell me why this shouldn't be my Christmas present to myself! I swear that I'll sell two other guns to cover the cost... promise!!!

Seriously, is there another 1911 for around $1,700 that's a better value? I know that I could get a Springfield Range Officer for less than half that cost, but I also know that I'd always be thinking about upgrading parts, night sights, and wishing that it were just, well, better made. Made in the USA doesn't hurt either.

The purposes are 1) casual target shooting, and 2) defense of castle. I doubt I'll carry a full-sized 1911 much.

Also, I really am serious about selling those two other guns. Is GunBroker the best place to sell a nice 1960s Browning Sweet 16 shotgun? How about an almost-new H&K P2000sk in 357 Sig?
Personally, I think that is too nice of a gun for a concealed carry piece. If you should ever have to use it and prevail, the police may have to hold it for "evidence" for a long time. You may drop it on the cement in a serious moment..and scuff it up a bit. I think the candidate for a concealed carry should be inexpensive, reliable and disposable....certainly not something you cherish.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Somebody please tell me why this shouldn't be my Christmas present to myself! I swear that I'll sell two other guns to cover the cost...

This Forum Is A Really, Really BAD Place To Seek An INTERVENTION...NOT To Buy A Gun !!!

GI5

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
25 Posts
You will like the Les Baer without a doubt. My Les Baer is my favorite 45 and maybe my kids can have it when I die :). I really like my TRP as well, but gave it to my oldest son, that's when I loved him of course.

I don't blame you on the Kimber, the name always reminded my of a sissy name or a box of diapers.

Where to sale, so many options, but your on the right track.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
1700 is a whole lot for any 1911. i mean, unless youre bullseye shooting with the sucker or are sponsored and/or rich- get something a bit more affordable and use the extra money saved for ammo.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You want a bunch of gun guys to say, no, dont buy it? WhenI ordered my nighthawk, I was sick to my stomach, couldnt sleep. Then, it came , What was I waiting for, its reliable to a fault, scary accurate, and feeds anything, including my early attempts at reloads.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
this is my last attempt to "talk you down".... my 600.00 GI spec springfield (although i didnt pay full price) does very very well... ill probably keep it for life. and again, its only half the price. and i had money left over for a nice big brick of ammo :D i.e. it is now more than just an expensive paper weight :D

unless you can shoot 1-2 inches at 50 yards with a pistol, i think youd be just fine with a springer or something comprable. Id trust my life to mine any day.

Im proud to say i own a Springfield 1911.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Answer: YES! But... first... do look at the Colt factory offerings, esp. since you'd get it at a better price, about $1200, and could even go for the Park'd 1911 Gov'mint model. Made in the US!

Check out the 01970 A!Cs in blued steel. Here...

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtSeries70.aspx

Enjoy, and please... no drooling on your computer keyboard, n'kay?

Reactions: TheTinMan

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Buy the Les Baer if you have the money. I bought two consecutive numbered full sized Custom Carry pistols.

I also got the 1.5" guarantee, and man, they are amazing both to behold and shoot. I really love the night sights.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Go for it!

I bought a TRS for my sons twenty first birthday. I had not planned to purchase one for my self. I have a 1979 model colt series 70 and a steel framed Commander and thought I would never purchase another 1911 at my age.
Well it didn't work that way. When the gun arrived I made the mistake of taking it out of the box looking it over and racking the slide, I had to have one. I ordered one without the "cooling fins on the slide". The colts have not been carried are shot since the Baer arrived.
One word of advice. Chunk the Baer mags. when you get the gun. Both TRS guns would not run 100 percent with the mags. supplied with the guns. I bought CMI mags. and we have over 2000 rounds through the guns so far with out any failure to feed.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whatsinaname181 - I hear you loud and clear. The Springfield Range Officer makes much more sense from almost every angle.

But as the other guys figured out - I didn't really expect to be talked out of my current madness!

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Whoa there TinMan before you drop $1700 on a used Baer you need to call CJ @ 1911 Heaven, for close to the same money you can get a new one delivered.

As for Baer's I own 4 and have a fifith on order, they are worth the money and yes there are cheaper and more expensive options but IMHO a Les Baer is the best 1911 made for the money, period. Also I carry one everyday and I have to warn you, if you buy one you will by a second one, they are addictive.

Call CJ and be prepared for good conversation and great prices.

http://www.cj1911heaven.com/default.aspx

If you get a new one, before you break it in, and yes it will have to be broke in, it is "Hard Fit", give me a PM and I'll go thru the process with you, I've done 4.

·
Registered
280 Posts
TinMan if you are looking at a used gun don't buy it before you talk to CJ. He is Baer's biggest distributor. He has most models in stock and keeps a lot of custom configurations in stock also. You may be able to buy new for a little more money than what you are talking about if the custom carry is used.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,025 Posts
There's no .45 ACP 1911 in my house. It's empty... missing something... just wrong! That's just wrong TheTinMan.

So I've found a Les Baer Custom Carry with no front cocking serrations and a single-side safety at a great price (relatively speaking). Try an Ed Brown custom carry .45 ACP.

Somebody please tell me why this shouldn't be my Christmas present to myself! I swear that I'll sell two other guns to cover the cost... promise!!! Hell yesTheTinMan, my Ed Brown was my Birthday present to myself. I sold one rifle * and one hand gun to buy my Kobra Carry.

Great.
I used to carry a full size 1911 (Colt), but after reviewing the Ed Brown custom 1911's and the Wilson Combat .45's. The Ed Brown custom carry just felt better in my waist band and was so much smoother and more accurate on the range targets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GUUWoK2AfY&feature=player_embedded

The Kobra Carry is essentially the Kobra modified for carry. It's the solution for those who prefer a smaller model 1911, but insist on complete reliability. The slide has been reduced to the minimum possible (4.25") without significantly impairing the legendary reliability of the 5" slide. The frame has been modified with the innovative Ed Brown Bobtail™ housing which reduces the projecting butt of the mainspring housing without sacrificing the full size frame and magazine capacity. The Bobtail™ minimizes the print under your jacket when carrying and reduces weight. Officer's frames reduce magazine capacity and limit grip, while keeping the projecting, sharp butt. Slides shorter than 4.25" are notorious for reduced reliability. These problems are eliminated with the Ed Brown Commander Bobtail™ configuration, which reflects the genius of John Browning with an innovative modern flair. The functional simplicity has yet to be matched. Unique with the Kobra series pistols is the innovative snakeskin treatment. It is a directional pattern, meaning it is smooth to slide your hand up, but bites in for a snug grip the other way where you need it. It's easier on the hands than checkering, and our female customers in particular can't stop bragging about it. Not to mention it just looks cool! The Kobra Carry is an innovative masterpiece, and a serious tool for those who want something a little different. We are sure you'll be charmed by the Kobra Carry!

The Kobra Carry features the following:
  • 4.25" Commander model slide, single stack commander Bobtail™ frame. The John Browning traditional design innovatively modified for concealed carry, without significantly detracting from reliability or accuracy.
  • Weight: approximately 35 ounces with an unloaded magazine inserted.
  • Exclusive snakeskin treatment on forestrap, Bobtail™ housing. A beautiful, unique, and snag free gripping surface.
  • Matte finished slide for low glare, with snakeskin on rear of slide only.
  • Fixed dovetail 3-dot night sights with high visibility white outlines.
* Not a MA1, but one of my Shiloh Sharps .45-70's.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Guys - Crazy John is exactly who I talked to yesterday morning! I called about an Ultimate Tactical Carry. He asked me what I wanted it for. I asked him about the thin grips on the UTC (don't want 'em). Then he said "I just got eight Custom Carry 1911s in with no front cocking serrations and single-sided safeties." You couldn't ask for better customer service IMHO, and his prices can't be beat AFAICT.

XXIV Corps - Ed Brown's Kobra Carry looks absolutely fantastic! I've been drooling over that pistol for a couple of years. Unfortunately, I'd have to sell 2 or 3 additional guns to pay for one. ARGH!

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Glad you went to CJ for your Baer, can't beat dealing with him.
I have one on order with him SS Custom Carry, No FCS, Single Side Combat Safety, Checked Mainspring Housing, Slim Grips, Solid Match Trigger. Hope to have by my B'day. PM me and we can discuss break in if you would like.
I like the Browns too, but I don't think with the Brown you get a better shooter than a Baer, its just finished nicer and you pay for that finish refinement.
TRSOtto on an other board said:

"The Brown is like the trophy wife who looks good on your hip at the cocktail party.

The Baers are like the Nympho who goes with you to see Ted Nugent in concert. "

Post some pics when you get it.

Reactions: LausDeo
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.