M14 Forum banner

Legit TX M1A?

4454 Views 29 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Gunhunter2222
On GB now: #846572121

Is this a legitimate rifle, or has it been humped?

mos
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
9,878 Posts
I have three and have had four SA. barrels all exhibited the same stamp location. My two TRW barrels and my one Winchester barrel have their stamps in approximately same location.

If you look closely at the barrels you will be able to see the "M" stamp on all the barrels, you maybe able to see that same "M" stamp on your rifle without removing the action from the stock.

See pictures below, if you have any question ask, I am here to help if I can.

REN GI2

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have three and have had four SA. barrels all exhibited the same stamp location. My two TRW barrels and my one Winchester barrel have their stamps in approximately same location.

If you look closely at the barrels you will be able to see the "M" stamp on all the barrels, you maybe able to see that same "M" stamp on your rifle without removing the action from the stock.

See pictures below, if you have any question ask, I am here to help if I can.

REN GI2

Hmmm.... based on those pictures and assuming consistency of stamp-placement by manufacturer, if the barrel were either a Winchester or a TRW the seller ought to have been able to see the right-hand set of stamps (closer to the muzzle) by pulling back the op rod. So, with that assumption my barrel is probably not a TRW or Winchester. Sigh. Was hoping for a TRW to match (at least some of) the other parts.

Nice rifles, BTW.

mos

· Registered
868 Posts
Good luck! I think its a good chance the barrel is USGI.

One of my Devine's has an 8 67 SA barrel marked upside down on the left side.

Cass
Here you go for the sake of trivia.

To top off the upside down SA 8 67 on the left side, we have an upside down M on the right side. This is on a Devine barrel with the hand stamped RT 1 BOX 210 DEVINE TX markings. .

Cass

Attachments

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Here you go for the sake of trivia.

To top off the upside down SA 8 67 on the left side, we have an upside down M on the right side. This is on a Devine barrel with the hand stamped RT 1 BOX 210 DEVINE TX markings. .

Cass
Just... wow...

I'll strip it when I get it and am now fascinated to find out what the heck I have bought!

Thanks, Cass!

mos

· Registered
34 Posts
Just talked to the seller and the barrel lacks any USGI markings, at least where I think they ought to be (right side of barrel and visible when op rod is retracted, like a Garand).

He even pulled his two Devine 3-digit rifles and they too lack USGI markings in that location. One is a 2-line address stamp and the other a 1-line.

What's the deal? Am I (mostly a Garand collector) just misunderstanding USGI M14 barrel stamp locations?

Alternatively, I have been trying to figure out what the possible origin of the barrel is, since it is stamped with the (apparently per the thread responses) correct Radium one-line address.

Can't find anything online about either Canadian Arsenal or Wilson barrels going back to Elmer Balance in TX and being put onto receivers there, but this is definitely Radium stamped.

Anyone have an idea here???

mos
My SA radium barrel is marked on the left side opposite the oprod slot.

· Registered
179 Posts
Another possibility, and I don't want to say this is what happened, but... since Elmer Ballance IS still alive, and still has the original engraving equipment, it is possible that the barrel is a replacement that Elmer stamped. Consider the non-GI stock. To my knowledge, Elmer never used anything but G.I. stocks, or other parts.

With regards to Canadian barrels, he did use them, as one of mine Devine's has one.
Elmer did build compete rifles with the Radium address but he also sold several hundred barreled actions that had the Radium address engraved on the barrels. Those rifles are normally found to have some parts that Elmer did not use in his builds. If you brought your Devine rifle back to Elmer to be rebarreled after Nov 1974 you could get a Radium engraved address barrel. I believe he continued this practice up until 1976-77. Several original two digit Devine rifles with SAK 7791362 NM barrels that I know of were rebarreled by Elmer in those years and had Radium pantograph engraved later date SAK barrels installed. Be wary of any Radium rifle that does not have all USGI parts and a barrel date of what Elmer had in inventory in September-October 1974.

· Registered
34 Posts
Elmer did build compete rifles with the Radium address but he also sold several hundred barreled actions that had the Radium address engraved on the barrels. Those rifles are normally found to have some parts that Elmer did not use in his builds. If you brought your Devine rifle back to Elmer to be rebarreled after Nov 1974 you could get a Radium engraved address barrel. I believe he continued this practice up until 1976-77. Several original two digit Devine rifles with SAK 7791362 NM barrels that I know of were rebarreled by Elmer in those years and had Radium pantograph engraved later date SAK barrels installed. Be wary of any Radium rifle that does not have all USGI parts and a barrel date of what Elmer had in inventory in September-October 1974.
I bought this barrel in the early 90’s at the Houston gunshow out of a box of take off M24 barrels did not notice the marking until I got home.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts