M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologies if i am posting this on the wrong section. didn't know where to put this.

i have a twelve year old boy thats is showing a lot of interested in shooting and even hunting. i am so happy that we can both do things together and spend some quality time but i notice he is right handed but uses his left eyes o aim. i will like to ask you guy here if this is something i should be worry about. if so how do i approach this and make him use his right eyes? will appreciate your real life experiences.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I shoot right left eye dominant
I have to close my left eye to obtain sight picture
Work on proper cheek weld , and go from there

·
Registered
538 Posts
Same issue. Cross eye dominance.
I shoot rifles left handed for better accuracy. Allows both eyes open. Pistols I shoot right handed but turn my head slightly to the right to align my eye with the sights.
Nothing more than a slight head turn, no squinting or contortionist moves.
To help with fine motor skills I brush my teeth left handed. Improves trigger control, grip, and dexterity. Kinda trips some buddies out when I'm shooting right handed, don't like my groups or hit ratio, swap to Lefty and improve.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I shoot rifles left handed for better accuracy. Allows both eyes open. Pistols I shoot right handed but turn my head slightly to the right to align my eye with the sights.
To help with fine motor skills I brush my teeth left handed. Improves trigger control, grip, and dexterity. Kinda trips some buddies out when I'm shooting right handed, don't like my groups or hit ratio, swap to Lefty and improve.
Yeah, I think if you teach him to shoot left, it's very easy down the road to be able to shoot competently from either side. Most right hand/right eye guys struggle with that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
LH / LED here. I learned to shoot a bow as a young teenager right handed and in my 30s switched to left handed bows. I can shoot archery either L or R almost equally good.
I shoot rifles left but if a deer walks in on the wrong side, I don't don't sweat switching shoulders if I have to to get a shot. I practice that scenario.
I'd say teach him to shoot left handed and see if it takes. Don't force him either way ( I know you know that)

Reactions: racer

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have the same problem as your son. I have been shooting left handed since I was 12. As my father was not a shooter I am self taught. I lucked out as we had a farm where I could shoot when ever I had free time. I have shot thousands of rounds over the years thru rifles (including DCM matches), shotguns, crossbows and pistols and never had a problem.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Right handed, left eye dominant also. A little complicated because I can't close my left, I can only "wink" with the right eye for some reason. As a kid, I shot left handed rifle and pistol because it felt most natural. When I went in the service, I went right handed and put some scotch tape on my left lens to force me to use the right eye. When I started shooting competitively I used a flip up eye shield. Now, after 20+ years, I still prefer the eye shield but find I can shoot RH/RE with both eyes open.

·
Super Moderator
3,765 Posts
My son-in-law and step son (30 and 26 years old) - and neither had shot seriously both had a dominant left eye and are both right handed.

Since neither shot much I encouraged both to shoot left handed as they really had no perspective. After teaching them all the basics and a few tricks after many years of shooting - both turned out to be excellent shooters.

If he is left eye dominant let him shoot lefty.

M1Army

·
Registered
26 Posts
Former airborne MP, SRT and current entry team member here.

I am left eye dominant yet right handed. My left eye is also pretty weak compared to my right eye so I just close my left eye for most of my shooting. For CQB, I keep both eyes open and practice point shooting quite a lot. Works well enough for me and I have never felt handicapped or slowed down compared to anyone that was not cross dominant.

The only type of shooting I struggle with sometimes is skeet shooting and fast moving targets at distance. It is really hard to lead a fast moving, small, target being cross dominant. You lose a little depth perception and timing with only one eye open.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Both my kids are right handed and left eye dominant. When they were young I noticed this and talked to several shooting coaches and they all said the same thing, teach them to shoot left

and they will never have to struggle or compensate for it. Took them out back every night with a BB gun to practice for a couple of weeks, they never looked back. My son is 18 and shoots

with me often and does not know the difference, very competent shooter. This has worked well for my kids and I highly recommend it. Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts

When my daughter gave me this pic of my 4 yr old grandson, I immediately said "He's left eye dominant!" He's 6 now and that turned out to be true.

My daughter and her twin sister are right handed and left eye dominant. I taught them to shoot left handed.

As a Hunter education instructor is see students from nearly every class that are cross dominant. I tell them their options and urge them to shoot from their strong eye side.

Lon

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm a righty and I'm left eye dominant. Learned to shoot long guns left handed and shoot handguns right handed just pushed over a little further. No issues yet! Shooting bolt actions offhand requires a lefty action for heavier rifles though.

Nothing worth worrying about. It feels totally natural fairly quickly.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I would teach him to shoot left handed. It will be a lot easier now then later to switch. Shooting cross eyed dominance is a disadvantage. I switched about 15 years ago and I'm glad I did it then.

·
Forum Jester
8,444 Posts

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
make sense, using his left hand on day to day activities will help him.

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My son-in-law and step son (30 and 26 years old) - and neither had shot seriously both had a dominant left eye and are both right handed.

Since neither shot much I encouraged both to shoot left handed as they really had no perspective. After teaching them all the basics and a few tricks after many years of shooting - both turned out to be excellent shooters.

If he is left eye dominant let him shoot lefty.

M1Army
so i should let him use what ever come natural to him.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Same deal for me. I always thought I was left-handed but it started to dawn on me that maybe I'm not. I write LH and shoot, but I think everything else is RH. It's tough when I pick up a bow. I want to do it like a righty, but my eye doesn't cooperate. Sometimes things are just going to be awkward.
The biggest problems I have in the gun world are non-ambi pistols and when choosing a bolt-action, the manufacturers make pretty cool stuff - and then they make LH stuff. Choices are usually limited to carbon steel only and a few calibers. RH guys get all the cool stuff like stainless steel and adjustable cheek pieces.
So, settle for less than you want or pony up for semi-custom.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.