M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody here know the battlesight zero for a 1918 No.1 Mklll (Mine's hitting about a foot high at 100yds :? . I'm thinking I need a taller front sight.)

I shot mine last weekend. I liked how it grouped- it was tight :) ; just that it was hitting 8" high at 50yds :eek: and wouldn't even touch the paper plates at 100yds :x . That was with Winchester's 180grain Powerpoint. Everybody told me .303's kicked like a mule; where's all this recoil I heard about. :lol:

·
Registered
132 Posts
No kick about it, the Lee-Enfield is a smooth shooting rifle.

The No.4 rifle has a battle sight range (using the battle aperture) of 300 yards. I do not know if there is a specific battle sight range for the No.1 rifle, but if there is I would guess it to be about the same.

On the No.1 rifle I have good luck setting the rear sight at 200, and then adjusting my hold for any difference. For anything at less than 200 yards, the 200 setting seems to work well, although each of my No.1s hits a little differently.

The ammo makes a difference too. Your rifle is regulated for MkVII ball. That's a 175 grain boat-tail bullet at about 2500 fps or so. I have noticed considerable difference in point of impact when shooting different makes of surplus ball, even though it is all supposedly made to specs. So the difference in point of impact with the Winchester hunting loads, over the ball, may be considerable.

Also, I do not know what hold you are using, but the sights on the No.1 were designed to use a 6 o'clock hold, rather then center mass.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dz86, Thanks for the reply. I agree about the Lee Enfield being a smooth shooter. Like I say, it really surprised me. And on the bench, it pretty much just set there when I touched it off, or that's about how I perceived it.

With the No.1 Mklll, I'm using a standard 6o'clock hold. My rear sight was all the way down on 200m. For 50 and 100 yards I didn't see raising it any. I just had to pull down on the target paper to get on the grid as it was high enough to miss the backboard entirely when held on the bottom of the center aiming point. If I'd been shooting a deer right then, at 50yds I'd have had to aim for the underline to get an upper lung shot and probably disrupt the spine.

I posted this question in the Ammo Dump and on a couple of other boards, but do you know anything about PMP's (as opposed to PMC) 174grainSP hunting load? Somebody told me it was loaded to MkVll ball specs. I've been thinking of trying some. And where could I get some Mkll ball affordably?

·
Registered
132 Posts
PMP was the manufacturer of a large lot of surplus .303 MkVII ball that was on the market recently. All of the big wholesalers are out of it, as far as I know. However, if you keep your eyes open you can still find it at gunshows. It is headstamped "A81" and "7.7 R1 M3 Z". Buy it if you can find it. Non corrosive, but berdan. I would stay away of the British stuff that Century has unless you can't find anything else! Lots of hangfires and misfires. I have seen other stuff advertised of late but it is all expensive.

Since PMP was the manufacturer of .303 ammunition for the South African forces I can believe that their soft point load would be to MkVII specs, but I don't know that. Based on my good luck with their other ammo though I feel it would be worth buying a box and trying it.

Sorry that I can't be of more help with the sight. You might try following the link below and posting your question there. The moderator on that board isn't much help, but most everyone else is!

http://pub176.ezboard.com/fcurioandrelicfirearmsforumfrm4

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the links, Longbranch. I'll look into them.

I was saying in a couple of other threads, that South African ammo I got, I finally got to try a few rounds. They seem to be hitting real close to POA at about 100yds, but I haven't gotten to the range to put it on paper yet. It may fool me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.