M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty sure i read here that it was a good idea to leave M1/M-14 type rifles with trigger guard unlatched (as in when you disassemble rifle) for storage. I had not heard that before and I read alot about my toys. I have a Beretta garand I do not plan to fire, should i store it this way? And why? Should my M1A in GI stocks be stored this way? Should I leave all my Garand type rifles this way between firing, whether wood or fibreglass stocked? It was my impression the advice was to avoid stock issues (compressing wood or some such thing). Thanks.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I leave mine "un-hooked", it is bedded... I have also read/ heard thesame thing...I figured it can't hurt.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
For long term storage it is a good ideal as the wood can compress over time and loosen lock up pressure. This would happen over a VERY long period of time. Maybe in the decades time frame. For regulare storage it is not needed.

Think about all the WW2 rifles that were stored with the trigger groups locked down and still lock up tight. Shooting does more to compress the wood than storage ever would.

·
Registered
246 Posts
From what I've read from Fred's M14 stocks, is that you should store it unlatched or removed. Especially for wood stocks. I think the trigger group can crush the wood over time. By unlatching or removing the TG you save the wood and help to keep the stock and rifle tight. I'm sure that you'll probably want to keep wood on some of your rifles, but I think that you don't have to worry about the crushing with synthetic. In the paper I read, Fred would take out the TG and noted that in the warm humid air in NC that when he went to put the TG in it didn't fit. That is because of the moisture in the air. You don't have to worry about that with synthetic. Just what I had read hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'm currently doing the J-B Weld buildup to compensate for settled wood after fitting some shims to see where it needed to be. If I had a new stock, I'd loosen the gaurd to keep the stock fresh.

Here's what compressed trigger area looks like...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts