M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been playing with my new MUT over the weekend and to me it seems to be almost the perfect mulitool to be carrying when the SHTF. Aside from the aggressive locking knife and woodsaw blades, it has an assortment of firearms tools that I haven't seen anywhere else except on the Brownells AR15 tool, which to my mind is overspecialized as an all-rounder. There's a pin punch that can be removed and hammered with the hammer feature, a replaceable bronze attachnment for carbon scraping, and no less than 6 different screwdriver attachments (on 3 bits that fit and lock into a special bit holder). The pliers and the punch pin screw-in are tapped and threaded for standard gun cleaning attachments ... and for AR users there's a bolt override feature that I don't expect to need with my M14. GI1

There's a separate mini double box end wrench, 1/2 and 3/8 inches, that fits in the back of the sheath, and the smaller end of which will remove the gas piston plug on my PROC version M14. Living in a metric-based country (we continued even after the USA backed out), it would be nice to have a selection of metric fitting tools also available, but hey you can't have everything and this tool is of course strictly made in the USA.

EDIT: I forgot to mention there's a dedicated cord/webbing cutter- but I'm not sure how good it would be on webbing and don't have any to sacrifice in a test right now. Also, there's the usual wire cutters, but the MUT versions are replaceable.

I've never been a particular fan of the heavier multitools (I EDC a much lighter Juice model when possible; the big ones look great when you buy them, then end up staying at home) but this new MUT is irresistible for a firearms operator who may not be able to carry around a chest of tools, or who needs them close to hand anywhere. If I had to pick one thing for my Batman EOTWAWKI utility belt, the MUT would be it. Look for the black version, the chrome finished one reflects light around like a mirror.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Pics?

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't post pics from my post. I will throw in the fact that the bronze scraper when matched with the similarly coloured bit holders and trim, combine into a very attractive black and gold on the version I have. Actually pretty... IF YOU'RE THE TERMINATOR.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
This is an expensive web-site...

GI2

Guys keep posting about things I didn't even know I needed...

CAVman in WYoming

Reactions: nately

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is an expensive web-site...

GI2

Guys keep posting about things I didn't even know I needed...

CAVman in WYoming
Welcome to my world! GI1

·
Registered
607 Posts
Great... Item 327465 added to the list of things in the NEED column...

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had one but returned it right before deployment. Good tool, but too heavy and too big to add to vest or gear. Trying to keep it light. Leatherman wave still works best for me.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had one but returned it right before deployment. Good tool, but too heavy and too big to add to vest or gear. Trying to keep it light. Leatherman wave still works best for me.
I was considering it for EDC in an end of the world situation where yer on yer own in the woods with no quartermaster or other material support. But I also expect to find it very handy at the range and I look forward to not having to sort through everything to find the right size tool. And, I just love the right gadget and this thing is it!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Yes, have one pricey but worth it!!! It is designed for field repair.maintnance on any current issue US issue small arm....that said i find it a great range toolkit for any of my 28 firearms!! You cannot believe how useful this thing is for ANY gun!!

I do have one complaint.......THE MANUFACTURER GAVE "BARRY SOETORO"(OBAMA) campaign money in 2008!!!

If they do it again in 2012 i will NEVER reccomend or purchase their products again!!

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Yes, have one pricey but worth it!!! It is designed for field repair.maintnance on any current issue US issue small arm....that said i find it a great range toolkit for any of my 28 firearms!! You cannot believe how useful this thing is for ANY gun!!

I do have one complaint.......THE MANUFACTURER GAVE "BARRY SOETORO"(OBAMA) campaign money in 2008!!!

If they do it again in 2012 i will NEVER reccomend or purchase their products again!!
FYI. Tim Leatherman also caught some flack for supporting John Kerry.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Got one today for a late B-day present from my shooting buddy.

Reloading 2K of various calibers for him a year, guess I deserve it.

Looks neat, haven't reaaly used it yet.

Don

·
Registered
130 Posts
I watched the review and the tool looks great. Then I saw how you can attach Otis cables or other cleaning rods/brushes to the unit…dang, I NEED one too! This will definitely be going to the range with me.

Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cool multi tool but from what I've read on several forums and googled it several times the owners of leather man are notoriously anti gun.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool multi tool but from what I've read on several forums and googled it several times the owners of leather man are notoriously anti gun.
It does seems that Mr Leatherman endorsed Swiftboater John Kerry and by association at least, his gun control platform in the election back when. He seems to have paid a price for that and I have to wonder if designing and selling the MUT is a gesture of reconciliation. Oh well, I have good friends who are idiots too. I guess buying his products is a matter of individual decision. If he'd endorsed the Manbearpig guy I's actually be scared.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BUMP !!!

GI5

CAVman in WYoming
Was I being political? Swiftboat guy and manbearpig guy are not running any more, gun control is bad, plus I am an ignorant foreigner to boot. The MUT is a fine tool, used it all weekend and had fun with it.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
An interesting multi-tool, but not a $150 interesting for the couple extra thing I might find useful compared to one of the regular multi-tools I already own and to buy another from a company like Leatherman. I know this isn't a political forum, but most of us are political minded people and I don't care to give Leatherman anymore business regardless of what they make.

If you run a piston AR too, you won't ever scrape another interior receivered part on an AR.
DI5

·
Registered
18 Posts
Grainger also carries them, all the models. I got one, played with it and seems ok, just a little heavy.
Rege

1 - 20 of 24 Posts