M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had a knife that I used that had a leeather handle. I do have an Air Force Camilus, with a leather handle but I have never used it.

I see where a lot of current buyers of Randall knives get the Leather handle.

I am just curious as to why???

It would seem to me that leather would be the most fragile of any of the handles Randall offers.

Do you pick this handle because its old school or does it have some qualities I might be missing?

I can see how it would not be as hot in the desert, or as cold in the winter.

How does it hold up long term when it repeatedly gets bloody working on game?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I have used an Eastwing leather Sportsmans Axe for several years, but it does not stay out in the weather and I have never bloodied up the handle.

And I have a Woodsmans Pal that I have been using for 5 years, but again it has not been exposed to the weather, or worn daily as a knife would be.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
The leather handles are very attractive and also traditonal in hunting knives. Altho I went with micarta when ordering from Randall, I have to say that I've had no problems with leather washer handled knifes made by other, lesser companies- the blades themselves may have been lousy, and often were, but the handles are still going strong. The main problem with those handles alone would be that they are generally just a thin metal rod, making them weak- but that is not the fault of the washer concept.

BTW, I too have an Estwing hatchet that I seriously if unintentionally abused by leaving it in the trunk of my car for a couple of winters- since the whole hatchet acted as a little heat sink, the blade rusted like crazy from condensation and the handle was green with mould when I finally took it out- but the handle came out of that rather better than the blade, which had pitting.

All that said, if I was in a seriously wet environment, I still wouldn't want a leather handle. But on the third hand, if really up against it one could always take off leather washers and eat them! GI1

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
nothing wrong with leather handles. as a young man i was taught that with a new knife with a leather handle to rub the leather down with clear shoe polish to protect it (warning, this will darken the leather some). ive been using one for hunting for over 25yrs, and its been snowed on, rained on, covered with blood and guts, and the handle still looks like it did when new.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I have a leather handle KBar and old hunting knife passed on by my father. The KBar was given to him by an uncle who used it in WWII and the hunting knife was his as a kid.
So we're talking old knives. There comfortable grips, and can last as mine have, but it's because of years soaked with mink oil and the leather is still aged. They need to be cared for from weather and use and I wouldn't pick either given the choice for a survival knife. These days handle materials like micarta and G10 are just a tougher choice and there is a wide variety of high quality knives made using them, because leather just won't take the same abuse. One brand is Bark River Knife and Tool. I traded for one and ended up giving it to my sister as a gift, but would love another. If you want a leather handle though, buy one, there nice, just be prepared to care for it more.

http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/

·
Registered
334 Posts
The leather ring handle was started my Marbles knives of Gladstone MI. Randall started using them right before WWII broke out. The natural oils from your hands will condition the leather and keep it strong. Some folks rub bees wax on the leather if they are going to be in wet places for a long time. The leather will expand and or contract depending on extreme climates, there is usually a acorn nut on the pummel of Randall's for tightening or loosening the stacked leather washers. Randall is one of the bests knives you can buy, this handle material is great and light in the hands. Just get stainless steal for the blade and then your good to go.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Word to the Mods- why is there a car/truck ad inserted via the word 'strong' in my previous post on this subject?? I didn't do it, but I do want a cut of any payments involved....

{OK it's gone again but it was a hotlink to Chevy, I believe. Or have I been working too hard?... naw!

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Back in the day , leather was THE thing. There really weren't any synthetic's developed for uses that leather was seemingly perfect for. Synthetic rubber was fairly new , and went for more stratigic needs like tires and hoses. Canvas , sometimes rubberized worked for straps , slings , packs , and boots , but knife and tool handles , leather was it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.