M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
slings

hi! i used to use the turner biothane sling. but i've been using les tam since i got mine five years ago and i've been pretty happy w/ it. i shoot high power and my slings take some beating since i sling up really tight. les tam's slings are really high quality and very reasonable price considering what you are getting. i've got 2 of his slings. you won't be dissapointed w/ les. great guy to talk to also. good luck. thnx. frank

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,825 Posts
I never put anything on my leather slings. I don't even clean them with saddle soap as most manuals instruct. Other than a couple of instances of keeper failure (mostly due to poor stitching) I have never had a sling fail me in all the years I've been a competition shooter. I should note that the slings I use were new GI slings when put into use. The slings I'm using right now were made in 1986. I have three on different M14 rifles. I have also used Turner leather slings which I think are very high quality and will probably outlast GI slings.

·
Registered
914 Posts
A very long time ago (about 38 - 39 yrs...) I bought my dad a nice locally made (Vancouver, B.C.; a shop that made custom logger's boots and other items) mil-style leather sling for the new .308 Win 88 I'd bought him a year earlier. Not knowing any better, and with a lot of experience with the product out at the airport in a servicing hanger, I applied a mix of 1:1 LPS #1 and LPs #2, liberally lathered on, left to sit for about 1 hour, and then wiped off.

It has protected and limbered up that sling, and it's still nice and compliant @ 38+ yrs, but the sling's still holding it's shape through quite a few hunts in north-central British Columbia, with snow, sleet, rain, mud, etc. I'll tell you what; that locale ain't no nice warm southern US huntin' in November & December!

LPS has some waxes and other stabilizers that WD-40 and their cheap ilk do not have (Actually, WD-40 is mostly odorless kerosene and some other slightly heavier fractions.)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Pecard's Percard's Percard's

Percard's is the best leather dressing in the world bar none. Neatsfoot Oil etc will just rot the leather. Pecards.com has leather dressing, antique leather dressing, motocycle leather dressing, furniture leather dressing etc.. Museums use their antique leather dressing which is also good if you don't want to destroy some USGI leather slings from WWII or other USGI leather part of the jump stocks for M1 Carbines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.