M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered a Fulton DMR Brookfield type scope mount Thursday, in preparation for getting a scope (still shopping). I want a leather cheek rest that also gives a little elevation for the comb, to allow for proper eye alignment and cheek weld while sighting. I have looked at the Springfield Armory one, but can't find a picture of it stitched in place. The pictures make it look like the padded part fits to the left side of the stock, but does it actually fold over the comb of the stock? I plan to lace it in place and pretty much leave it there.

Is there another one that is better? I'm not really interested in the plastic ones that adjust (like the Bradley). I have some fairly heavy tanned cowhide, and thought about just custom making one.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
The one sold by Springfield was actually designed for the Garand, where the scope is offset to the left. There are better choices for the M14 platform.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes it does! And it is custom made to fit the measurements of your stock. Additionally, he custom makes the height to the height specification you are looking for. I have shot about 300 rounds with it on my rifle, and I couldn't be happier. And it is very soft, comfortable leather.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'm going to make one and see how it goes. I've got a bunch of tanned leather scraps that would be perfect for this. I've already made a preliminary pattern and will start cutting it tonite. I'll make pictures as I go; if it comes out halfway decent and isn't too big a pain in the keester to make, I might offer up some for sale.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I think I'm going to make one and see how it goes. I've got a bunch of tanned leather scraps that would be perfect for this. I've already made a preliminary pattern and will start cutting it tonite. I'll make pictures as I go; if it comes out halfway decent and isn't too big a pain in the keester to make, I might offer up some for sale.
If you make it true to the style of the M1 issue type, but made for the M14 and made well, you could probably sell a few to those around here that prefer the traditional look.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finished the riser today. First, I want to stress that I'm not a leathersmith. This is the first thing I've made from leather since the moccasin kit I put together in Boy Scouts 50 years ago. I had some rather large pieces of scrap leather lying around that I got years ago from my (now ex-) brother-in-law. I bought some lacing and a couple of punches and grommet sets.

First off, I made patterns from paper and fit them around the stock, When I had the pattern like I wanted, I traced it to some chocolate-colored leather and cut it out. I punched holes for grommets for laces to tie it on with, and punched smaller holes for leather lacing to hold the whole thing together. There is a slot that fits over the rear sling loop to locate it in the right spot, and the sling loop also keeps it from shifting on the stock.

For the riser itself, I took a block of balsa wood I had lying around, and I carved and sanded it to fit over the curve of the stock's comb, and made it tall enough to give me the proper cheek weld height for my scope. For me, this was a tad over an inch. Once it was padded and covered, the riser gave me 1-1/4 inches of rise, and my eye position is perfect with my cheekbone resting on the riser.

I put a single piece of 1/8" thick closed-cell foam over the riser block and laced the cover over the wood block with thin leather lacing. The ends of the riser block were covered with more of the foam, a small leather cover was laced over that. I used an old shoelace through the grommets and laced the riser to the stock, nice and snug. It does not slip at all. I may cover the inside of the leather with moleskin, I want to see first if the riser makes any marks on the stock.

Here are a few construction pictures, next post will show completed product:

Reactions: flipmasterj

·
Very Old Salt
1,908 Posts
That looks awesome! I'd say to avoid the leather cheek rest that springfield sells. It's been know the scratch up the buttstock from the lace rivets rubbing against it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks awesome! I'd say to avoid the leather cheek rest that springfield sells. It's been know the scratch up the buttstock from the lace rivets rubbing against it.
I considered that; the grommets for these laces do not touch the stock, there is a layer of leather between them. It takes about a minute to wrap this around the stock and snug the laces. It falls right into place, since the underside of the riser block forms to the top of the stock. I'm going to replace that old shoelace with something like para cord.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went this route:

I had a Blackhawk cordura cheek pad first, but it was not high enough and added too much width for a good cheek weld.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Tell you what, if you will make me one for my '03 I'll be glad to pay you for your labor, supplies and a profit. I like the looks of the one you did, but the '03 only needs the comb to be about an inch high from original height. Realize you may not want to bet bogged down on these things, but if interested in building one, drop me a PM. Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts