M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ALOT of Gas Checks for .30 caliber lead bullets. Back in the day, my father use to cast his own lead bullets, use the gas checks and use his ammo through M1 Garands and a few bolt guns.
I still have all of his molds, gas checks, ect. Has anyone here ever used these for shooting through their M1A's? Good or bad experiences?
Thanks!

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Cast bullets

I molded and fire gas checked bullets many times in the M1A. The problems were, rifles failed to cycle, and less than good accuracy. I shortened the recoil spring, a few coils at a time, in an attempt to cycle the action, this worked to some degree. Lost interest in cast bullets and moved on, I hope you succeed and pass the information back to me. Art

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Cast

I am in the process of working on the same thing. From my research I have learned that you must watch the speed of the bullets to stay abreast of lead fouling.....then I have read of
30-30 examples where the bullets were pushed at varying speeds and exhibited no fouling.
I understand that nose pour bullet molds are best for this caliber and hardness needs to be correct.
The biggest hurdle as pointed out by Art, will be function. The nose of the bullet, if not the proper shape and hardness, will give you a headache. Feeding will be paramount before you can get into the function gremlins.
I am doing this out of self defense because of ammo cost...reloading my own right now , cost me .96 cents each !!!
I know, I know....You can buy mil-surp for around .77cents on a good sale.....The groups are just unnacceptable for me. DI5

·
Registered
187 Posts
My Fed Ordinance w/ChiCom parts loves a GC 152 gr bullet cast of straight WW and water quenched. Sized .309. R-P brass,WLR primers and 29.5 gr H335. Crimped. Cycles every time. Go to Cast Boolits forum and look for the LONG article under military rifles. Bruce from Northern Nevada has done lots of research.

Rifle is unitized, trigger job, glass bedded FG GI stock, NM sights.

Cheers

Don

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I'm also trying to save as money as possible. It's a sad day when you have rifles but not enough ammo to enjoy them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts