M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an LC Smith 12 Gauge (Feather Weight Field Grade 1927) in my safe for years. It was my Dad's. Ive had it for 25 years. Its in poor shape as the stock is shattered where it attaches to the action. I thought it was just cracked but it came off in pieces.
The barrels have separated, they had been rigged with a clamp. The clamps probably 60 years old. Anyway some kunk thats on it has appeared to keep it free of rust.

Anyway, after staring at it for years, I have decided to refinish it and use it. Dis assembly has been interesting. Have a couple of more stuck screws to go.

Does anyone know how the barrels were originally connected, was it a silver solder?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
There is a LC Smith Collectors Association that is like this Forum. Where to go and who does what. There is also Side by Side clubs across the US. Be careful you have gone astray with the M14 platform you can become victim of smooth bores. I would love to tell you how many side by sides I have. But I have learned confession is good for the soul and bad for the reputation.

Pfc out

·
Registered
871 Posts
You have a good one there, like has been said there are some good forums out there. If you are going to restore it you might to get ahold of Turnbull, they do really nice restor's and that one would be worth it but it's going to cost ya some coin. I want to send them my 1894 Remington BE for steel tubes (Damascus) but haven't got to it. That's a good one, good luck. Dan

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is going to be long and drawn out. Wish I took some before picks, dissassembly picks here.

Stock not shown but you can see pieces in action. One side plate off, stuck screw in other side. Have an impact driver ordered, soaking it in PB Blaster for now.

Barrels needed resoldering, am going to try myself. Have them taken apart. Once I can remove the ejector assembly and forearm tab (more screws), I will get this media blasted and then I will resolder. I watched a video now I'm an expert.

Other thoughts are this, I cant afford to get a refinish on the case hardening. I'm already into a new stock. After looking at pics I may cerakote it. I know thats sacrilege to some, but the brighter finishes mimic bluing and I can do the side plates in some other color (Stailess, Burnt Bronze, ??).

·
Registered
551 Posts
+1 on Turnbull's work. They did a great job on my Colt SAA blackpowder frame 45.
I'm looking to have a new stock made up for a Baker Batavia Leader in 16.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.