M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 500 rd bag of LC brass.
I see that some of the mixed LC is LC LR.
I assume LR means Long Range?
IS the LR brass made to better standards that the standard LC brass or is it just missing the crimp?
Is it worth separating the LR from all the 09, 07 stamps and working up a load for just that brass?

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Other than not having the primer crimp I have found no difference. They both weigh 178 +/- 3 gr. I see no reason to sort them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree it is not match brass for what I've seen.. if you want brass that is truly special.. Get Lapua 308 or Norma.. but bring your wallet.. B2B

·
Retired
4,700 Posts
I purchased a 500 rd bag of LC brass.
I see that some of the mixed LC is LC LR.
I assume LR means Long Range?
IS the LR brass made to better standards that the standard LC brass or is it just missing the crimp?
Is it worth separating the LR from all the 09, 07 stamps and working up a load for just that brass?

Thanks
There's lot of different 7.62 ammo out there. Some of the US made LR stuff was too hot for the M14 and was designed for bolt guns. So it is not a Nato spec ammo, so no Nato cross. Does it have a primer crimp?
I bought a couple cans of 7.62 Special Ball last year from the CMP and that has the 173gr match bullet,but not in a match case. I do believe it has the primer crimp.
What is 500 cases of once fired selling for these days?

·
Registered
975 Posts
There is no NATO spec for a bullet that heavy or a bullet of that type so it will not have a NATO stamp. Before 1997 the LC cases were the same. In an attempt to reduce the high pressure extraction problems the LR cases were spec'd to meet a few other inspection specs, although they do come from the same line of production so for most people the main difference will be the lack of a primer crimp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts