M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to size once fired LC brass using a full size Dillon die on a 550b. I have to pull really hard on the handle to get the shellplate all the way up and then have to push real hard to get it to release.The end product doesn't fit right in the gauge. It seems to be slightly oversized near the base, even after many attempts at resizing. No amount of die adjustment will fix the prob. In the pic you can see that there's room to spare at the neck. You can also see the marks on the case after resizing. An unfired brass fits perfectly in the gauge before and after resizing. Any suggestions?
sinclair 1.jpg
sinclair 2.jpg
brass.jpg

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
What Sizing Lube are you using ? You may want to get a Small Base Sizing Die . Case Head Space is not correct , need to screw Sizing Die down more, there is always some play in Press's linkage , if you cant , a SB sizer may help achieve proper Case HS. It is also possible the Bases are blown out & no Sizing Die will touch it . I have also read , some have issues with that Gage as far as the Bases fitting .

Also look for Burr's on the Base from the Extractor , that may be hindering the base from entering the Gage .

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
It works better if you resize once fired large caliber rifle cases in a single stage press before running them through a progressive like the 550B. You also want to see if the necks need trimming before loading them.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
That is a burr on the rim causing it to not fit in the Sheridan. It will function fine in your rifle. The Sheridan is made to specs on new brass. it doesn't take much for it to fail.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Using alcohol lanolin recipe for lube. One pic shows base inserted in gauge. I think the issue is near base. Why wouldn't a full size die fully size?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm using the 550 as a single stage, resizing only. The die gets really tight as it approaches its full stroke and is really tough to get it to release. This isn't normal to me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
try a different lube. I found a mix of dillons lube squirted on and then some super lube ( teflon stuff) sprayed on and mixed in ( swish around in a bucket, mix it up with your hands to get good coverage) works well on hard to size of "big" brass like 308, 30-06, 50 BMG. Makes a world of difference in the effort to size and reduces the stuck cases which are a pain to unstuck. Also- make sure you are working with clean brass, and you gauge is clean inside - one little flake of powder or corn cob grain can throw off the gauge.... cleaning the sizing and seating dies once in while also helps....

·
Registered
86 Posts
That is a burr on the rim causing it to not fit in the Sheridan. It will function fine in your rifle. The Sheridan is made to specs on new brass. it doesn't take much for it to fail.
That’s what I think. I had the same problem with .308 cases with a new Sheridan case gage like this. a once fired and sized will fit the gage but after several firings the case rim gets hammered and burrs so it’s a no go. I’m thinking of beveling the gage opening but haven’t yet figured a way to do it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Using alcohol lanolin recipe for lube. One pic shows base inserted in gauge. I think the issue is near base. Why wouldn't a full size die fully size?
Jim I think you have two issues. Tight sizing because of lube or an oversized chamber or die issue. The second is the gage nor working. I think this is the rim. Try inserting the case backwards and see if the rim will enter the gage.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To Kurt: It was fired in a Garand

To Douglas: one of the pics has the case inserted backward. I filed the rim and it slipped into the gauge as it should.

This is a bummer if once fired and resized LC brass doesn't fit in my new fancy Sheridan gauge.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I've reloaded some LC 30.06 using Redding FL dies using a single stage press.
I also use the Sheridan gauge.
Some cases don't drop all the way in, but with a very light push they will go.
You could hold the rifle bore down, and drop the case in the chamber and see if it chambers fully.
If it drops completely in, turn the rifle bore up and see if the case drops out by itself.
It should drop out without assistance.
If not just gently tap the butt on the floor to see if it will drop out.
Still not dropping out?
Back to square one.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I agree with the above , try a different Sizing lube & make sure the Cases are clean . I keep a fine file around just incase I have Burr's on a base . Not sure how well it will work as far as fitting the Gage , but you can see or feel any raised areas on the Base Rim by inserting the Case in a conventional Shell Holder, if you have one & spin it & see if it's difficult to insert or spin . I use Dillon pump spry lube & I have a new version , which is supposed to be a similar formula ( Lanolin/Alcohol ) from Midsouth Shooters supply that works very well with my 308 surplus Brass .

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use lanolin and alcohol for pistol cases but it’s much less effective than Imperial Sizing Wax on bottle neck rifle brass including 5.56, 30-30, 308Win, and 30-06. Highly recommend using that, sparingly, I touch the wax and roll brass in fingers then size 2, touch 3rd, and size two more, because a little goes a long way and a lot stays on fingers and transfers. Roll each piece of brass in fingers but only touch a bit of new wax on finger pads every few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
456 Posts
I bought one of those fancy gauges for the 308 and don’t use it for the reason you’re showing. You’re not going to be able to get full case into resizing die because of the shell holder. If extractor lip is buggered up or area just above it is swollen it’s not gonna go. 3 out of 5 won’t go in my Sheridan but fit fine in a Wilson case gauge ( i know the Wilson is is just checking headspace) and drops in and out of the chamber with full bolt lock in. My garande is a lot easier on brass than my m1a and after my experience with the Sheridan in 308 i won’t be getting one in 30-06

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
To Kurt: It was fired in a Garand

To Douglas: one of the pics has the case inserted backward. I filed the rim and it slipped into the gauge as it should.

This is a bummer if once fired and resized LC brass doesn't fit in my new fancy Sheridan gauge.
Will it chamber in your intended platform your going to shoot it in?
Do you have a case “headspace” comparator ,
You can see by your gauge your case shoulder angle does not match the guage. Is this the brass, die, gauge.

i get a lot of 06 brass from local club CMP . The clubs loaner rifled are Field Gauge pass at best. All that brass is “hard” going through my 007 single stage.
How I salvage it.
1st I set my die up per so the die just kisses the shell holder.
I then lube my brass with what ever lube I have on hand.
What I do do different is I take a bore mop loaded with lube and lube the inside of the neck more than usual. Once I go through the several hundred cases once I can set ( i have a die s pre set for my plinking ammo) my die per instructions and run them through again.
Any brass that feels overly “tight” at that point goes in the scrap bucket.

to me it sounds like you actually pulling the neck/shoulder out on the up stroke.
Case/rim damage has caused a lot of frustration on my end.
For run of the mill ammo in any rifle I will resize until it reads zero on my RCBS mic.
For anything remotely loaded for accuracy I have a die set for each rifle and FL size adjust until I see .003”+ on the brass fired from that particular rifle.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Even moving from .308 sizing to .30-06, I was amazed at the extra effort required to size the .30-06. It's one of the reasons I upgraded from my little RS3 press to a RockChucker... for the additional leverage. Also, die setup is not the same as when it's in use... make sure you are setting the die with a shell at full ram extension... there is flex in presses, and linkage slop. Set a die to just tap the shell holder... then put a shell in and run it up into the die... you will likely see a gap between the shell holder and die; it needs to be readjusted.

The only cartridge I've ever stuck in a die... was .30-06. Twice. I'm pretty generous with case lube, now, and particularly at the base with the .30... I use Hornady's OneShot.

·
Registered
794 Posts
You might could use a Redding Body Die with lots of lube and then run it thru the FL sizer to bump the shoulder.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
See if you can screw the resizing die down a bit more to where it may take up more slack the shell plate may have in it over the indexing ball. This will better ensure the lower part of the case will get as far in as possible as well too the shoulder of the case getting resized at the proper position.

My 550B instructions say to screw the die in to a point, like onto the shell plate, then back out so much. But it does not describe taking out the slack in the shell plate or camming over of the ram, etc. which seems to help correct some various issues like this that come up.

With the progressive press you want the shell plate to move easily but you need to make sure the die is screwed as far down as possible to get the shoulder correct. You don't want to adjust to the shell plate height. That height might be too high if someone likes it on the loose side for example. So you need to make sure the die is not set off the height of the shell plate at rest after only adjusting it for ease of indexing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts