M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Springfield Armory standard M1A from our local law enforcement dealer. Does anyone know the differences (if any) of an M1A that would be sold to LE agencies? It came with a 20 round mag, and I thought that the standards came with a 10 round. Other than that I don't know what could be different. Springfield Armory doesn't make full auto capable M1A's do they (I know, stupid question, but I thought I'd ask, I have selector parts coming to make a dummy switch for the M14 stock I have, and I don't want a headache on my hands).

·
Registered
13 Posts
differences

To My knowledge there is not a special LE only model. I hate companies that do things like that. Unless they will sell that model to private citizens also. Some companies do make LE models (such as Remington etc...) but they make no distinction with whom they will sell that model to.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Not any more. If you're talking about a LE-focused FFL dealer like GTD (www.gtdist.com), the dealer is probably supplying the GI magazine independent of SAI. The 10-round capacity limit of the magazines SAI ships with new rifles is a throwback to the federal AWB era and a concession to major-market States that still have AWBs in one form or another. There was a time SAI made some selective- fire assemblies (Different has the exact number, 100 or fewer IIRC), but they've been out of that business a long time.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,128 Posts
Wolverine, If you're concerned, I'd find the SA model number for the rifle you bought on the box and check to see if the features are exactly the same. I'm certain there are no specific LE models though.
m14brian

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
My agency has 30+ REAL M14's on loan from Uncle Sam. LEO agencies mostly get their M14's that way. Individual officers may, if their agency approves the on duty carry of M14 style rifles, specify what that rifle can be configured as, i.e. barrel length, stock configuration, optics...........................My agency doesn't allow 'regular street guys' to carry any 7.62 rifle, only approved AR's in 5.56.

·
Registered
847 Posts
IMO, the Op might be refering to parts on the gun stamped with "Law Enforcement only" like alot of handguns, mags, SG and AR have. Cetainly, it may have all USGI or forged parts.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
When I first read the thread title my thought was "It's got less rounds through it than mine do" and it's probably dirtier too.
Just to be clear, I've got a niece ,nephew and SIL who are all LEOs.

But I couldn't resist.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.