M14 Forum banner

Latest Garand Project

5K views 31 replies 27 participants last post by  art luppino 
#1 ·
A little over a year ago I purchased off the CMP boards a HRA barreled action. I spent the next several months picking up parts for it, mostly off the CMP boards, one at a time. Finally got 'em all. The last thing was the stock. I had purchased a CMP Boyds "pumpkin" stock from someone off the CMP boards as well, but didn't get working on it for a while. I actually purchased two at once, and spent last summer working on the other one. I detailed the work on that one here.

I sanded this stock to the bare wood as best I could, and tried a little experimentation. Using a conglomeration of techniques, with both water- and alcohol-based stains, I played and played with this one. However, I couldn't get the handguards to look the like the butt stock, and vice versa. Wood can do that sometimes. In any event, I am quite pleased with the outcome. Finished all pieces off with many coats of BLO (which hasn't yet fully cured--as soon as I put this out in the sun it began sweating and I had to wipe it down).

Here are a few pics of the finished rifle:

One thing I did notice on this stock, though, was that the rear handguard doesn't seem to be cut or fit properly as it leaves a gap on the left side of the rifle.

The other side appears to sit properly, and the OpRod doesn't seem to rub on it so I don't know what could be the issue.

See less See more
#3 ·
I am amazed. That looks beautiful Duce. Well worth the wait I would say.

I haven't been here very long, but I'd venture to say that is by far the most unique and beautiful Garand posted here in awhile.

Well done!

Eddard

Reactions: Duce
#5 ·
Range? What's that????

Unfortunately I haven't had time to bring this rifle, and several others, to the range. GI4

This past Jan/Feb I had time on my hands but it was usually below zero; Now that summer has arrived I'm about as busy as I have ever been and no time to head to the range. C'est la vie.

BTW.... That shooting jacket you gave me works good. Used it at a match or two so far, and my scores have gone up. Must be the jacket. GI2

#8 ·
I was thinking the same thing. I had a few other stocks that I had recently treated with BLO sitting in the sun today. They each had been sitting for a week or two since their last BLO coats so didn't sweat too much. This M1 I just put the last few coats on a few days ago so it was sweating right away.

#14 ·
It's a different "feel" isn't it.

I mean starting with a piece of a rifle (barreled receiver) and putting it together pieces at a time - vs. - buying a complete rifle from the CMP.

In 2007 I made a trip to Camp Perry and while there I bought a couple of H&R barreled actions. My youngest son and I spent several months getting H&R parts from gun shows, off the internet (ebay and other various M1 parts vendors/sellers). What ended up being hard to find (then I got lucky) were the stocks. I was beginning to believe I'd never find decent H&R stocks and "got lucky" and ran across an add from a place called "Doug's Stockpile" (out of business now I've heard) and he had two H&R M1 stocks at a decent price and I bought them. They weren't perfect but they were solid and had that old/dark walnut look I like.

One rifle "hit right where I held it" on it's first trip to the range (I'm always tickled when you put sights on a rifle and its sighted in - I mean what's the chance of that?) and the other required some windage and elevation adjustment.

I need to start taking on odd rifle per range trip while fooling with the pistols just to "exercise" the old rifles in the safe. I've got an old 03 that hasn't been shot in over 30 years. Others in nearly that long that get looked at, cleaned, and put back in the safe again.

When you do get to the range, come on back with pics and results.

#27 ·
That's beautiful boy!USNA
I was digging through my stuff not long ago & come up with an H&R barreled receiver & ALL the parts to build a rifle! I even have a RRAD marked stock that is the same red tint as yours!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.