M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, have had this for a while. I'm the second owner.
This is one of the Glenn Nelson builds using TRW parts (like the bolt), as far as I can tell.
Ser # 0384XX. Dates to July '86.

Receiver sez:
U.S. Rifle
7.62-mm M1A
Springfield Armory

The barrel, a Douglas heavy weight, has "SM" stamped on it.
The trigger has no creep in the take-up and the let-off is what is best described as a "glass-reed" break.
Nice wood too, although it's acquired some dings and scratches.

These are old pics; I've since removed the scope & mount and have been shooting it with just the Nat'l Match irons:

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,613 Posts
Good looking rifle Frank Black.

DI5

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice, how is the stock foreend pressure after all these years?
I have to assume it hasn't changed that much, although I haven't had my 'smith look it over since bedding it. I haven't noticed much change in accuracy or POI out to 200yds, which is what's it's zero-ed for, but then I'm not a "tier one" match shooter. I'm okay but not great.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Awesome rifle! My '85 Supermatch is really similar, and will be used irons only as well. There's just something incredibly rewarding about shooting it that way.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Very nice rifle! I am sure all the parts are forged.

I have an unfired Super Match with Hart SS barrel made in 1996. I was pleasantly surprised to see TRW op. rod, bolt and other parts in that late of a rifle (serial number 095XXX). I have never fired it yet and plan on doing so soon.
I wonder how accurate the JAE-100 Gen 3 stock will be? I have the original Super Match walnut stock sold so I hope the JAE is good, it took long enough to get (a year of wait time).

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Very nice, they don't get much better than that! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
That's some "Prime" stuff there by a master builder , it don't get much better.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice rifle, thanks for sharing. What scope do you have mounted on it?
Yes, as Ironhandjohn said, it's an old SWFA SS 10x.

Back then, I had this scope off another rifle and it was just laying around. So I mounted it on the SM just for punching small groups @ 200yds with match ammo. Back to irons now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.