M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My starter went on my truck, or was going. Starter = $107, and that's the low end. $85 labor to put it in. I wasn't going to crawl under there, I might not get up. I don't remember when the last time I bought one, but I do remember it was about $40. They are reliable things.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I remember putting one on my 86 IROC Z28 many years ago. Don't remember what it cost at that time. I do remember when the SBC starters were in the $40 range though.

Most expensive I ever bought was for that 82 K5 Blazer with the 6.2 diesel. $219 and had to drive just over 30 miles to get to the only parts place in the area that had one and was open that weekend. Good thing I was at home so I had access to another vehicle. That 6.2 would "eat" parts on a pretty regular basis. I put 4 starters on it over the years before the body rust forced me to park it for good. By the time I parked it the starters were down in the $160 range. Sort of looked like a SBC starter, but almost twice as long and heavy as could be. Had to remove the metal brace/bumper that bolted to the frame on the passenger side that controlled upwards axle movement in order the change the starter. PITB.

My 1990 F150 4WD had the original starter on it after 20 years and 251,000 miles. Got another Chevy (05 Silverado 4WD) several years ago and it's almost as bad as that 82 K5. The more I drive it, the more I work on it. Kept the truck, for now, but got a used Expedition last year. Hoping it follows in the footsteps of that old F150 for the next 10 or 15 years.

I dread the time when I get to the point where I can't work on my stuff anymore. I'm already at the point where I sometimes have to just stop and take a break before I finish up. And then the next day I can feel it in my back and joints/muscles. Didn't used to mind working on my stuff so much, now I'd rather not.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Those factory remanufactured starters that parts suppliers sell are junk. Sometimes you gotta buy 3-4 before you get a good one. They are never properly greased so before you install, you must disassemble and grease.
Best thing to do if your starter or alternator goes bad, is contact a generator repair place and have them do the work on your ORIGINAL part. Original parts tend to be better quality and the repair place has a reputation to consider, so they are likely to do good work and stand behind their work with a good warranty. Happy motoring.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My starter in my 95 ford f150 is original. 253k.
Two years ago I had the original alternator rebuilt.
This year my belt tensioner failed and shredded my believe it or not original serpentine belt. Was a sad day.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Whenever I have a starter or alternator fail, I take it to a 3rd generation auto electric guy I know and tell him to rebuild it with premium quality parts and charge me whatever it takes.
It's always cost a LITTLE more than a standard Red China rebuild from an auto parts store, but WELL worth the cost because of the longer life I get from it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Few weeks back I swapped out my starter in my '94 Chevy Caprice. I bought the re-man from O'Reily's and it seems they have lifetime warranty. So they gave me a new re-man. I kind a felt stupid I bought the one I exchanged from them when they were Kragen's. At the time I didn't know they were all under the same umbrella so I bought instead of exchange. Lost out on $100+.

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Whenever I have a starter or alternator fail, I take it to a 3rd generation auto electric guy I know and tell him to rebuild it with premium quality parts and charge me whatever it takes.
It's always cost a LITTLE more than a standard Red China rebuild from an auto parts store, but WELL worth the cost because of the longer life I get from it.
Interesting option.
When you do this, what’s the turnaround time to get your starter back?

·
Registered
873 Posts
I just put a "rebuilt" Remey starter in a 85 SBC. First one was junk and failed 2nd day.

"Lifetime" warranty does not cover time spent under the truck, twice!

When I rebult my 69 LT1 350, I put in a OEM starter for a LS6 454. It's still fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts