M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ALRIGHT, im sure some of you are like "enough with the dang AR", well im here to tell you that the gun is complete and I have a brief range report for you. I didnt get to test the gun extensively. I followd kriegers recommended guidelines for barrel break-in. The guns specs are:

Krieger 20'' Stainless Steel HBAR, 1:7.7 .223/5.56 (wylde equivilent), bead-blasted.
YHM Upper Reciever
Noveske Lower Reciever
YHM freefloat quad rail
RRA bolt carrier
USGI Bolt
RRA 2 stage trigger

Leupold 3.5x10x40mm LR/T with TMR reticle
Badger high rings

Here she is-

Now, before some of you get riled up, I only did ONE ten shot group. Black Hills ammunition is about a DOLLAR a round. I believe one can get a great idea of a rifle and ammunition capability from a FIVE shot group. Three? not so much. So, its my range report and I say five is good enough. its been my experience that 5 is good.

Secondly, I try and be an honest shooter. If i feel myself pull a shot, I call it- and im usually correct or close. I am not shooting them from a vice. Also, I did not take forever shooting these groups. I may have over heated the barrel in the process, i dont know. Im not going cyclic, but again, Im not shooting one round every minute.

SO- Starting with a 10 shot group from the 100 meter line with Black Hills "red box" 75gr

Measured .75 without those two little guys i pulled below. Thats EIGHT shots within .75 MOA. I think that speaks for itself.

Again, BH 75gr at the 100 meter line. 5rnds .75 again

100 meter line, real army issued MK 262 77gr OTM- 1.4 moa

100 meter line, army issue mk 262 77gr OTM .6 MOA

Thats the 100 meter line, all fired off a bipod out of the back of my chevy. Im getting this feeling that the rifle can outshoot me and that IM not doing as well as I could.

200 Meter line issue MK262 77gr .5MOA without that little guy at the bottom (felt that one it was my last shot) 1.2 MOA WITH the little guy at the bottom.

600 Meter line- Shot in an easy, but inconsistant 10 MPH cross wind. Fired with Black Hills 75gr and army issue M855 62gr FMJ
My POA was NOT consistant. I was playing with the wind and had to walk my rounds in. Once I was on target, you can see the impacts on the right. Not too bad, I could probably do better, as the target was partially concealed.

Hope to improve, and again, I believe that this rifle could probably do much much better from a vice or a rest.

K.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

Very nice rifle and shooting! You did a really good job in both aspects. Have you tried (or do you intend to) any lighter projectiles, or do you think the 77g to have the best accuracy potential? I'd been using BH 68g with pretty good results and am going to try the 77, so kind of curious what to expect. My ranges only go to 100 yards, so I'm not sure if it would really make all that much difference or not.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Nice rifle! Looks like it was meant to be used and not just for commando pictures. Is the barrel bead blasted? Glad you went with the a2 stock. I really do not like the collapsible ones at all. Nice dmr rifle

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim- not sure about the grain weight yet. I am pretty sure that the 1:7.7 is optimized for the 77 and 80gr projectiles though. I called Krieger and they said that 69gr is optimal for 100 yards and under, and 77gr for anything beyond that for best accuracy results.

Boom Stick, yeah I had it beat blasted. I was going to paint it black, but the grey is kind of growing on me. Yeah I like the A2 stock. I dont need any of that fancy pants stuff, this rifle is intended for use.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks perazzi.

One thing about the groups- im shooting way to fast. Ill keep updating this thread as I test more ammo. Probably going to sandbag and do all the rest of the fancy stuff. We'll see what happens then. I mean, this rifle barrel could probably keep them all under .5 at least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.